[Classic_Rock_Forever] Re: Song of the year 1977 finals rd. 1

0
 

There's all kinds of music in the match-up show. Obviously there's country since country made something of a comeback in the decade but this month alone we're had a Heart Rocker, a Don Henley ballad, a few Irish folkies, Scottish rock, modern rock from Concrete Blonde, Pearl Jam, Morissey, Cure, a whole bunch of familiar names like Neil Young, Emmylou Harris, Richard Thompson, Mike Oldfield and Patti Smith and some talented folks you may not know like Noa, Merril Bainbridge and a bunch of oddballs. And country including Dolly :)
Ben

--- In Classic_Rock_Forever@yahoogroups.com, "Cfh" <cfhiebert@...> wrote:
>
> I enjoy the chart events. I don't compare years, I just take the songs at
> face value and pick the 10 best in my mind. Sometimes its difficult to know
> who to cut, especially as the field narrows. My latest trick was to ask
> myself, if a particular song came on the radio, would I turn away or turn up
> the volume. Worked well with the 1966 list.
>
> The match up game hasn't grabbed me. Honestly, when I see names like Dolly
> Parton I glaze over. No offense to Dolly's legions of fans, it just doesn't
> work for me.
>
> Clint
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ben
> Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2012 11:26 PM
> To: Classic_Rock_Forever@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Classic_Rock_Forever] Re: Song of the year 1977 finals rd. 1
>
> I plan to do 1963-1989. The 1990's I'm doing in the match-up game since the
> chart stuff wasn't good enough to bother. Not seeing much participation
> here, should I stop posting the match-up show here?
> Ben
>
> --- In Classic_Rock_Forever@yahoogroups.com, "jdk77550" <jdk77550@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Clint, you are correct. I resist voting for the song because it was a hit
> > (and a memorable one) in 1979, but barely noticed in 1977. To me, it's not
> > just about picking the best songs from the list, it's also about picking
> > the songs that personify "1977" (give or take a month or two). If Stairway
> > To Heaven or Free Bird showed up on the 1984 list, I wouldn't vote for
> > that either. :)
> >
> > There will be a 1984 list, won't there (eventually)? A lot of great songs
> > from that year. Though Ben might ban me from voting if I keep complaining
> > about his classification system. LOL
> >
> >
> >
> > --- In Classic_Rock_Forever@yahoogroups.com, "Cfh" <cfhiebert@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I think this is referring to the original studio recording of I Want
> > > You To Want Me/In Color album. I dropped it from my list this time,
> > > since I find the live version from the Budakon album renders this
> > > version somewhat sterile ;)
> > > Â
> > > Clint
> >
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment