[Classic_Rock_Forever] Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden, Rush, Blaze Bayley, Grave Digger, Rising West, Opeth, In This Moment, Black Veil brides, and tons more hard rock and heavy metal news

0
 

Ozzy Osbourne and his wife/manager Sharon Osbourne spoke to Britain's Hello! magazine about their son Jack's revelation that he has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.

"I keep thinking, 'What did I do wrong? What did I eat or drink when I was pregnant?'" Sharon, 59, said. "I feel like it's somehow my fault."

"If it was me, you'd think: 'Ozzy had a reputation and it caught up with him,'" Ozzy, 63, said. "But Jack is such a good guy."

Jack, 26, and his fiancée, actress Lisa Stelly, welcomed a daughter named Pearl Clementine on April 24.

"I was just angry and frustrated and kept thinking, 'Why now?'" Jack said. "I've got a family and that's what's supposed to be the most important thing."

Multiple sclerosis (or MS) is a chronic, often disabling disease that attacks the central nervous system, which is made up of the brain, spinal cord, and optic nerves. Symptoms may be mild, such as numbness in the limbs, or severe, such as paralysis or loss of vision. The progress, severity, and specific symptoms of MS are unpredictable and vary from one person to another.
 
Rock N Roll Ribs, the barbecue restaurant owned by IRON MAIDEN drummer Nicko McBrain and close friend Mitch Tanne, was honored for "Best Ribs 2012" by the web site Broward-Palm Beach New Times.

A posting on the site reads: "When pondering what makes a good rack of ribs, two things naturally come to mind — heavy metal and Coral Springs. Rock N Roll Ribs is run by Nicko McBrain, drummer for legendary band IRON MAIDEN. Though the interior of the restaurant looks more like an Iron Maiden shrine in a teenaged boy's bedroom than a rib joint, this place knows barbecue. The coma-inducing combination of crispy charred pork slathered in the restaurant's sticky, sweet, and tangy barbecue sauce is a recipe for one totally bitchin' rack."

Rock N Roll Ribs held its second-anniversary party on December 17, 2011 in Coral Springs, Florida. Photos and video footage of the event can be seen below. More pictures are available from WENN.

A barbecue joint with a musical bent, Rock N Roll Ribs showcases its love for smokey Southern cooking with food like barbecued pork and chicken and clever takes on MAIDEN songs, like "Run to the Hills" wings.

"It's not just MAIDEN fans that come in," McBrain said about the restaurant in a 2010 interview. "We do get a lot of pilgrimages, people come in and look at all the stuff on the walls, but most people that come in always come out satisfied. And it's not major expensive. A rack of ribs is $16, and you get a pound and a quarter to a pound and a half of ribs."

Rock N Roll Ribs
4651 State Rd. 7 (US441)
Coral Springs, FL 33073
954-345-RIBZ (7429)
www.rocknrollribs.org
 
In a brand new interview with RollingStone.com, guitarist Alex Lifeson of Canadian rock legends RUSH was asked how he feels about having yet to be inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. "Honestly, we really, really don't care about it," he replied. "It's someone's thing, and they can do whatever they want with it. They can have whomever they like. It's their thing." He added, "It's a little bit different here in Canada. We've received awards that mean an awful lot more to us than being in the Hall Of Fame. We got the Governor General's Performing Arts Award a couple weeks ago. That's really the highest accolade you can get in this country for the performing arts, and it's recognized nationally, and I felt so proud as a Canadian to be in this esteemed group of artists that have been there for the last 20 years."

When asked if he and his bandmates would show up at the ceremony if they were eventually chosen to be inducted into the Rock Hall, Lifeson said, "I think we'd consider it at the time and just see where we're at. I mean, you don't want to be rude, and we're Canadians, and we find it very difficult to be rude as much as we'd really like to. [Laughs] So we'd probably have to look at that one, if it ever came. I know there must be pressure from their end. We keep going on and getting more popular…

"Look, there are a lot of other bands that should be in there before we should be in there... If the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame doesn't want us in there, that's fine. I don't care. It really, really doesn't matter at the end of the day. It's probably better left the way it is. There's more controversy for them and for us."
 
Belgium-based classical guitarist Thomas Zwijsen, who has recorded an acoustic IRON MAIDEN tribute album called "Nylon Maiden", will join forces with singer Blaze Bayley (IRON MAIDEN, WOLFSBANE) for an acoustic tour in July. Thomas says, "We will play [the BLAZE BAYLEY song 'Soundtrack Of My Life'] along with some other Blaze songs, some WOLFSBANE songs, many IRON MAIDEN songs and, of course, some of my 'Nylon Maiden' arrangements."

Bayley contributed his vocals to a cover version of IRON MAIDEN's "The Clansman" for the "Nylon Maiden" album.

Blaze Bayley/Thomas Zwijsen acoustic dates:

July 26 - The Hairy Dog - Derby, UK
July 27 - The Asylum - Birmingham, UK
July 28 – [to be announced] - Weston Super Mare, UK
July 29 - 12 Bar Club - London, UK

Zwijsen is one of the musicians who backed Bayley on Blaze's most recent European "The King Of Metal" tour.

Bayley's new studio album, "The King Of Metal", was released in March. The CD was recorded at Fear Studio in Ravenna, Italy.
German power metallers GRAVE DIGGER will release their new album, "Clash Of The Gods", on August 31 in Europe and September 4 in North America via Napalm Records. A six-song mini-CD, "Home At Last", will precede the full-length effort on July 27 in Europe and August 7 in North America.

GRAVE DIGGER's new CD was recorded at Principal Studios in Münster, Germany. The band laid down at least 10 new original compositions as well as "a cover version of a male, 'not-heavy-metal' artist," which the group said "won't be another German 'Schlager' song... it will be 150 percent pure GRAVE DIGGER metal. Again we transferred the spirit of the '80s into the sound of 2012."

"Home At Last" track listing:

01. Home At Last
02. Rage Of The Savage Beast (non-album track)
03. Metal Will Never Die (non-album track)
04. Ballad Of A Hangman (live in Wacken 2010)
05. Excalibur (live in Wacken 2010)
06. Heavy Metal Breakdown (live in Wacken 2010)

GRAVE DIGGER last fall extended its contract with Napalm Records. The band said in a statement, "Napalm is a small and hard-working team that is as effective and productive as a company of 70 people. Always reachable and competent, they work with their artists individually. These are the strengths of Napalm, and that is why we have signed a deal for three more records under the Napalm banner."

"The Clans Are Still Marching", the latest DVD from GRAVE DIGGER, entered the German Media Control chart at position No. 56 (German chart rules allow music DVDs to enter album charts).

GRAVE DIGGER's latest album, "The Clans Will Rise Again", was released in Europe on October 1, 2010 via Napalm Records. The CD was recorded between mid-May 2010 and mid-July 2010 at the Meadow Studios, which is owned by GRAVE DIGGER's new guitarist Axel Ritt, and Principal Studios, where all of GRAVE DIGGER albums since 1995's "Heart Of Darkness" have been tracked. It was produced by Chris Boltendahl and mixed by Jörg Umbreit.
 
Last week, RISING WEST and CRIMSON GLORY singer Todd La Torre was interviewed on KEEL frontman Ron Keel's "Streets Of Rock & Roll" radio show. You can now listen to the chat using the audio player below.

In addition to La Torre, RISING WEST features in its ranks Michael Wilton, Eddie Jackson, Scott Rockenfield and Parker Lundgren of QUEENSRŸCHE. RISING WEST played its first two shows ever on Friday, June 8 and Saturday, June 9 at the Hard Rock Café in Seattle, Washington. The band performed rare and classic hits from the first five QUEENSRŸCHE albums — from the 1983 EP through 1990's "Empire" — as well as a cover version of the IRON MAIDEN staple "Wrathchild".

The following interview excerpts were transcribed and edited for clarity by BLABBERMOUTH.NET.

On how the first RISING WEST shows went:

Todd: "It was amazing. I've actually been told how critical the people of Seattle can be with their music — they take it pretty seriously, and seeing as it is [QUEENSRŸCHE's] home turf, I expected to be severely ridiculed. To the contrary, I felt widely accepted. The fans were amazing. Everyone that came out… We sold out the place both nights. Our merch was gone the first night. I'm a huge fan of QUEENSRŸCHE. I've stated it before — they are my favorite band since I was probably 14 or 15 years old. I've been a drummer my whole life; I still play drums. The songs that we played are the songs that I've loved for so long. I've told the [other RISING WEST] members, anything past 'Empire' I wasn't really a huge fan of. My heart really lied in the classic songs that embodied their sound. And so to be able to play those songs with the actual members was really a dream come true. I remember telling them backstage right before we went on. I said, 'I've done some amazing things in my life and I want you to know that tonight is the best night of my life.' I have a lot of friends that joke about the movie 'Rock Star' [based on a well-publicized New York Times article about Tim 'Ripper' Owens, an Akron, Ohio singer in a JUDAS PRIEST tribute band who, in 1996, was selected to be the new lead singer of the heavy metal legends] with me of actually growing up listening to [QUEENSRŸCHE's] music. I mean, I met them 20 years ago at a signing session they did in Clearwater, Florida. And they signed my 'Warning' album cover; I still have it. In my home studio, I have 'Promised Land' signed and beautifully framed by all the members. So when this actually came to be, I had to pinch myself. I'm still with CRIMSON GLORY, and I've got to do amazing things. We've played shows with ANTHRAX, ACCEPT, OVERKILL, DEATH ANGEL, QUIET RIOT… Playing to 20,000 people over in Europe, it's an amazing experience. This resonates very personally for me because I have a lot of emotional connection to this music, and the fans do, too. It was an awesome experience. We're gonna be doing a lot more. And the band, as a whole, is really excited. I mean, even the bandmembers' wives have told me, 'Todd, these guys haven't been this happy in 10 years.' I'm seeing them glowing. I mean, they're smiling; we're laughing. We laughed so hard at practice, at rehearsal, and it just all feels very comfortable and natural. And I couldn't be more honored. This is a legendary band that's never had another vocalist front those members. And so, out of all the people in the world that could have gotten chosen or would be vying for that position, I feel very lucky and fortunate that they chose me."

On plans to record new original music together:

Todd: "Actually, there is new original material. And that's a goal that they wanna do. Look, there's so much talk about… The fans, you know how they can sling the mud. And they like to say, 'Well, Geoff Tate is QUEENSRŸCHE.' I mean, he was the voice of QUEENSRŸCHE, undoubtedly. He's regarded as one of the best metal singers of all time. In my opinion, he created a style of singing. I had not heard anyone phrasing things and singing in the way that he did, and it was very captivating to me. But let's not forget, Eddie Jackson is a writer and an original member. So is Scott Rockenfield on drums. So is Michael Wilton on guitar. The fact that [former QUEENSRŸCHE guitarist Chris] DeGarmo isn't in this right now is… that's OK. But the fans can't discredit the fact that these are three original members. And then Parker, Parker is a great guitar player, he's a super-nice guy. He's a very good songwriter as well. And let's face it: when they were performing, I saw their last show, on their 30th-anniversary tour, in Clearwater… That is the band… That was the band QUEENSRŸCHE. So due to, I'm sure, legalities and reasons why it's not under that name right now, RISING WEST was formed. I think that performing the classic tunes or any QUEENSRŸCHE material that they wrote is a good bridge to them being true to their original works. And also, kind of getting me exposure to their fans. And then we do have original music that is in the works. There's some really great stuff that's already happened. Obviously, we wanna try and write something that's heavy, but also has a common thread of what is QUEENSRŸCHE's sound — very melodic guitar parts. Vocally, I'm in a very unique position because a lot of people like to throw around, 'Oh, he's a clone, he's an imitator, he's this, he's that.' And I feel like I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't. My style of singing and phrasing is very similar to Geoff Tate and Bruce Dickinson and Rob Halford. I mean, a lot of my high metal screams are grittier and dirtier, like Rob Halford. My vibrato is more similar to Bruce Dickinson or Geoff Tate. A lot of the crying and ways of entering a vocal phrase and phonating, the way I say words, are very similar to Geoff Tate. I wear my influences on my sleeve, but I also think that I have a heavier vibe than Geoff Tate ever had. With a lot of the heavier, gritty, thrashier metal style… I mean, I love to do some of the death growls like Chuck Billy [TESTAMENT] does. Is that QUEENSRŸCHE sound? No. But if they want it kicked up and give it a heavier edge, I think that I have that, and that's something that Geoff Tate never did. Not taking anything away from him, but I think I do show a wide range of versatility. I have nothing but respect for Geoff Tate's voice. I don't know him as a person, so I can't comment either way. But the new songs, we want them to be heavy but still try to maintain… As a writer, the people that love the roots, a lot of those people don't wanna move past that; they love it. But as an artist, you wanna spread your wings, and you wanna try things that are creative, and you wanna still stay current. So it's like, 'OK, how do we achieve, how do we pacify the masses?' You don't wanna write a record that sounds like 1986. But you don't wanna sound so changed that the older fans aren't finding that common thread in the music that they loved that is from the early-to-mid-'80s or even early '90s, like 'Operation: Mindcrime'. I mean, that's regarded as one of the greatest concept albums of all time, and it's stood the test of time. Is that a real heavy, heavy metal record? In my opinion, no. I call it 'metal,' but it was progressive and it had a lot of wonderful instrumentation and elements, and it's a masterpiece of a work. So we just wanna do what we do. They've told me, 'Todd, don't feel like you have to try to sound like our past. We want you to do you.' And so the things that we have worked on together, there are elements that are indicative [of], or very similar to, the classic QUEENSRŸCHE vocal sound, but I'm still doing things that are me. And so it's kind of frustrating for me when people say, 'Oh, he's come in and just tries to copy him.' Well, if I sing [the songs] so close to the original [versions]… Obviously, I want to represent the songs in [their] truest form that I can do. I think, live, I still kind of end up phrasing things a little different and will do things kind of my way, but I try to stay as true as I can. So if I do that, people are like, 'Oh, he's a clone, he's a copycat, and it's never the same without Geoff Tate,' which I do respect. On the other hand, if I'm so different, then they're gonna say, 'It's nothing like Geoff Tate. It's nothing like QUEENSRŸCHE sound. This isn't QUEENSRŸCHE. It's not even close to the same style.' . . .So if the fans wanna hear the hadrcore, classic heavy high-screaming stuff that they haven't heard in many, many, many years, we're gonna stay true to the classic material that the fans have been wanting to hear for so long and then we'll be interjecting some new stuff soon."
 
Swedish progressive metallers OPETH will embark on the "Swedish Heritage Tour 2012" in November. The dates are as follows:

Nov. 29 - KB - Malmo, Sweden
Nov. 30 - Katalin - Stockholm, Sweden
Dec. 01 - Club 700 - Örebro, Sweden
Dec. 02 - Nefertiti - Gothenburg, Sweden
Dec. 03 - Nefertiti - Gothenburg, Sweden
Dec. 04 - Sodra Teatern - Stockholm, Sweden
Dec. 05 - Sodra Teatern - Stockholm, Sweden
Dec. 06 - Maxim - Gävle, Sweden
Dec. 07 - Skandiateatern - Norrköping, Sweden

Metal Hammer TV conducted an interview with guitarist/vocalist Mikael Åkerfeldt of Swedish progressive metallers OPETH at this year's Download festival, which was held June 8-10 at Donington Park in Leicestershire, United Kingdom. You can now watch the chat below.

OPETH recently completed a North America co-headlining tour with MASTODON. The trek kicked off on April 4 in Portland, Maine, and visited more than 30 cities in the U.S. and Canada before wrapping up at Atlanta's Masquerade on May 12.

OPETH's new album, "Heritage", sold 19,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 19 on The Billboard 200 chart. The band's previous studio CD, 2008's "Watershed", opened with more than 19,000 units to land at No. 23.

"Watershed" was the follow-up to the band's acclaimed "Ghost Reveries" CD, which debuted at No. 64 on the Billboard chart back in September 2005 with first-week sales of just under 15,000.

OPETH's 2003 album, "Damnation", premiered with a little over 5,000 copies.

When asked how OPETH planned to deliver the more technical songs from "Heritage" in the live show, vocalist/guitarist Mikael Åkerfeldt said in a 2011 interview, "I thought that might be a problem. But it's not been difficult at all. The live versions of the new songs sound closer to the originals than many of the other songs. We have a new keyboard player who's really into the different sounds we create and he's got lots of kit. When he plays, it's like he has four arms. He's doing a lot to make sure the current live show is something very special. But we'd never record anything that we didn't think we could pull off live."
 
 
Southern California's IN THIS MOMENT will release its fourth album, "Blood", on August 14 via longtime label Century Media Records. The CD was once again produced by Kevin Churko, who has previously worked with OZZY OSBOURNE and FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH, among others.

IN THIS MOMENT began work on the new album just a few months following the departures of drummer Jeff Fabb and guitarist Blake Bunzel, who left the band late last year in order to join the backing group of "American Idol" finalist James Durbin. Fabb and Bunzel have since been replaced by Tom Hane (THYATEIRA) and Randy Weitzel (FLATLINE, 3/13, AMERICAN MASSACRE), respectively.

"Blood" track listing:

01. Rise With Me
02. Blood
03. Adrenalize
04. Whore
05. You're Gonna Listen
06. It Is Written
07. Burn
08. Scarlet
09. Aries
10. From The Ashes
11. Beast Within
12. Comanche
13. The Blood Legion
14. 11_11

Commented singer Maria Brink: "There are no words to describe how excited we are... We are on fire with this record. It's by far the most powerful material we have ever written.

"IN THIS MOMENT has gone through some big changes. I admit sometimes change is scary, especially when facing the unknown, but in this case everything has been perfectly meant to be. It's a brave, dark, hard-hitting album that will make you feel dirty inside, but still wanting more."

Added guitarist Chris Howorth: "Over the last [few] months, we have undergone some interesting changes within the band. As a result, Maria and I were brought closer together united in our mutual determination to top everything we have previously done with IN THIS MOMENT. It's our fourth album and we definitely have something to prove this time. During the writing process, Maria, Kevin and I are pushing ourselves to make sure every song is something unique and special. I honestly feel this is the most focused and powerful music we have ever created and I am beyond psyched to get it out there for people to hear."

In a recent interview with Australia's Loud magazine, Maria stated about IN THIS MOMENT's new material, "We brought some stuff to the table that we've never done before and it really sounds like something special, something new. I can't explain it; I mean, if you know our old music, when you hear the new stuff you're going to go, 'Holy shit, okay, I totally get it.' But I don't want to give away anything either, it's just unique; it's something new we've brought to the table. We found something special within us; we found this certain thing, so I'm excited for it."

Regarding IN THIS MOMENT's split with Fabb and Bunzel, Brink said, "You know how sometimes, you don't realize sometimes something happening (that's) traumatic, that it can be the most beautiful thing that could have happened to you? It's like one of those situations. It got really stripped back down to me and Chris [Howorth, guitar], and me and Chris started this band together, just me and him, and then it was like everybody came to the table, everybody brings their own influence. I believe it was all meant to be, all of those albums with them. I love them, I wish them the best. But it was almost like this new, with just me and Chris, this new fire, this new strength within me that I just… magical things started happening between what we started creating. And it's just so meant to be; it's meant to be that they moved on and some other things in my life, it's so cool 'cause it's just like this brand new everything and it feels really awesome. And you're going to be able to hear it."
Los Angeles theatrical rockers BLACK VEIL BRIDES have canceled the last six shows of their current European tour due to the passing of singer Andy Biersack's grandfather. He says in a statement, "I feel it is necessary for my own grief and heart that I take this time to attend his funeral and celebrate his life with my family and loved ones before I head back into the studio to resume work on our next record." He adds, "We promise to make up any dates missed the next time we are in this part of the world. We would like to thank MÖTLEY CRÜE and Slash for having us on tour with them… it was truly a dream come true. Thank you so much for understanding… I love you all very much and will see you again soon."

Affected dates:

June 18 - Le Zénith - Paris, France
June 20 - Stechert Arena - Bamberg, Germany
June 21 - St. Jakobshalle - Basel, Switzerland
June 22 - La Laiterie - Strasbourg, France
June 23 - Gods of Metal Festival - Rho Mi, Italy
June 24 - Graspop Metal Meeting - Dessel, Belgium

Biersack told NME earlier in the month that BLACK VEIL BRIDES hopes to complete the follow-up to "Set The World On Fire" by the end of August. He also revealed that GOLDFINGER's John Feldmann is assisting BLACK VEIL BRIDES during the recording sessions for the new CD, which is tentatively due in October. The singer said, "We've got three songs tracked. We've set ourselves a deadline of the end of August to finish it. We've got 20 to 25 songs written and we're narrowing it down now. It's going to be more of a punk rock record than anything we've done before. It's SOCIAL DISTORTION meets METALLICA." Biersack also confirmed that the album has a title, but declined to reveal it, explaining, "Of course we've got a title. I don't do anything unless I think about it six months in advance. We've got a title, we've got a story. It's a bit of concept record, there's a very serious story behind it. It's full of surprises."

BLACK VEIL BRIDES' new song, "Unbroken", appeared on the soundtrack to this year's movie, "Marvel's The Avengers". "Unbroken" is included on "Avengers Assemble", a 14-track compilation of music from and inspired by the film. "Avengers Assemble" was released on May 1.
 
France's Radio Metal recently conducted an interview with British guitarist, keyboard player and vocalist Steven Wilson of PORCUPINE TREE and STORM CORROSION. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

Radio Metal: At the beginning, you described STORM CORROSION as very surprising for both PORCUPINE TREE and OPETH fans. Since then, OPETH's album "Heritage" and the STEVEN WILSON album have been released, and you said that, considering those two albums, STORM CORROSION wasn't that surprising. Do you regret that those two records came out before this one? Would you have preferred to released it first, in order to really surprise the audience?

Steven Wilson: No, I think it's probably better. I think it's worked out better in the end. Had STORM CORROSION come out maybe a year ago or two years ago, I think it would probably have got a lot more of a negative reaction than it has. It seems to me that people were a little bit more prepared and a little bit more willing to accept the direction of STORM CORROSION because they'd heard "Heritage" and "Grace For Drowning". For me, the album is very much a kind of final part in a trilogy of records. I guess I'm moving away from the more conventional rock music vocabulary into a more orchestrated, organic world. So I don't regret it, it's worked out very well in this order. I think the album that had the hardest time was probably OPETH's "Heritage". I think Mikael [Åkerfeldt of OPETH and STORM CORROSION] had a very hard time with the metal fans, particularly, accepting their record. But he knew he would, he expected that. But I think in time, this record will come to be seen as a classic and a masterpiece, as all OPETH's albums are.

Radio Metal: Isn't it sad that you have to prepare fans to a big musical change, like you did with those two records before you released STORM CORROSION?

Steven Wilson: It's just human nature, isn't it? The nature of music fandom and music fans is that, very often, they fall in love with a band or a particular artist, and they really would like… I'm talking generally, that's not everyone. But a vast majority of the fanbase would prefer the band to keep making the same record and the same style of music over and over again. That, to me, is not interesting. I like artists that tend to be more interested in reinventing themselves, in experimenting. I think one of the things that you accept when you go in that direction is that you will lose some of your fans with each new release. Some of your fans will not understand and not accept the direction you're going. But the important thing is, if you consider yourself to a true artist, you have to be selfish and you have to follow your own instincts. Is it sad that STORM CORROSION needs to be explained to people before they can accept it? I don't think it's sad, I think it's inevitable. I think it's just human nature. Human beings find change very difficult. They find change is something that can be quite an awkward thing to adjust to. It applies to music, it applies to life, it applies to everything.

Radio Metal: At the beginning, Mike Portnoy [DREAM THEATER] was part of this project but was excluded because you felt the music would have little room for drums. But in the end, there are some percussive elements and Gavin Harrison played on the album. Why didn't you call Mike Portnoy back, since he wanted to be part of the project initially?

Steven Wilson: I don't think Mike would have liked this music. I might be wrong, but I don't think it would have been his kind of music. Gavin's the drummer for me, anyway. I think Gavin is one of the top five drummers in the whole world. And he lives about ten miles from me, so it was easy for me to get Gavin involved. I might be wrong, but I don't think Mike would've liked this kind of music. I think he's more of a metal/rock guy. But maybe I'm wrong.

Radio Metal: So you didn't even try to call him back?

Steven Wilson: No. I'm not really a fan, to be honest, of…[he hesitates]. Anyway, Gavin is someone I thought would be perfect for this particular style of music. He loves jazz music. He's not really a metal drummer, although he can do that. He's a very flexible drummer.

Radio Metal: On another subject, will you tour with STORM CORROSION?

Steven Wilson: Not this time, no. I think, maybe, if we get to the point where we make a second record, we might think about it. But right now, I'm on tour with my solo album, and Mikael's on tour with OPETH for most of the rest of this year. So it wouldn't be possible anyway. And also, I'm not sure how we would do it. I'm not sure what lineup of musicians could recreate this music live. You heard it, so you know it's very fragile, orchestrated music. I'm not sure how we would do that in a live context. But maybe, if we get to do a second record, we'll have a better idea of how we might do that. I certainly wouldn't rule it out in the future, but we're not doing it for this record.

Radio Metal: So you do plan to record other albums with that project?

Steven Wilson: Because we're so happy with this one, we'll certainly get together again and start writing together. Whether it will be something completely different or a second STORM CORROSION album, I don't know. But I would be very surprised if Mikael and myself wouldn't at least try again to collaborate on something, because we had a great time. We're so proud of this record. There's something about it that's so pure and so outside of everything else. It feels like it's so much removed from the rest of the music world. We're very proud of that fact. Yes, we'll definitely try, I'm sure.
 
British heavy metal band ELIXIR will play its final farewell shows on Saturday, October 13 at The Bridge House, East London and on Saturday, October 20 at De Verlichte Geest in Roselare, Belgium.

Commented ELIXIR guitarist Phil Denton: "Since we reformed in 2002, we have had a fantastic 10 years playing live in Greece, Germany, Holland, Sweden, Italy, Bulgaria, Norway, Spain and the USA and have received warm and enthusiastic welcomes from fans in those countries. We will miss you as much as we will miss playing together on stage. We also had the opportunity to record three more studio albums since our reformation, and feel that our most recent, 2010's 'All Hallows Eve', is not a bad way to finish our recording career. I love Paul, Norman, Kevin and Nigel like brothers and will miss their talent, friendship and above all, their humor and wish them well for the future. We plan to have a good drink together and enjoy each other's company one last time when we are together for the final shows, and then plan to finish off in style by rocking hard on stage! We hope to see you there!"

Following the decision to play their final shows with ELIXIR in October, vocalist Paul Taylor and Denton have agreed to continue working together on a new project. The pair had been writing new material together for what was intended to be a new ELIXIR album and felt that the new material was worth continuing with and hoped to bring the songs to life with a new band. "As it will not be the original five members, we didn't wish to continue as ELIXIR. However, our new band will be in much the same vein, and we may well include a few ELIXIR favorites in our live set," said Phil. "We are currently looking for an awesome drummer and bass player to work with. A good personality and sense of humour, along with a professional attitude is what we are looking for most."
 
Aniruddh "Andrew" Bansal of Metal Assault recently conducted an interview with singer Jill Janus of the Los Angeles-based occult-themed traditional heavy metal band HUNTRESS. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

Metal Assault: The most notable thing about the music is the dark, occult vibe. What's the reason for your liking of the occult?

Jill: I have been pagan since birth. I grew up on a deer farm in the Catskill Mountains of New York, a region known for its ties to the occult. My family is quite eccentric and always encouraged my secret sight. I've never had to speak of my beliefs until [the release of the HUNTRESS debut album] "Spell Eater". I will always hold close my mystery. However, many secrets will be revealed within the songs.

Metal Assault: You have displayed a great vocal range on this album. When did you start learning to sing?

Jill: I was born with a four-octave coloratura soprano range. My mother realized I had a big voice and took me to auditions as a child. I was performing in opera productions while recording thrash songs in my basement. It just took me a little longer to break free of theatre. My classical training is now the foundation for my screams; it helps me to maintain the voice.

Metal Assault: I read somewhere that you toured Europe as a teenage opera star. Would you say you've brought some of those theatrics to your on-stage performance as part of HUNTRESS?

Jill: Absolutely. I love theater. I feel a strong bond with the stage. But I have spent many years stripping away the classical inflections in my voice. HUNTRESS is not musical theater, it is metal. Opera was never dark enough for me.

Metal Assault: But did the opera experience at such a young age give you the confidence to perform on stage?

Jill: Yes, but I've always been confident. I've always known my purpose, which is the voice. My family said I had a focus and drive as a child that was beyond my years. At the age of five, I told my father I was born to sing and I would do nothing except sing for the rest of my life. I've never lacked confidence.

Metal Assault: It's great that HUNTRESS plays traditional heavy metal. What made the band gravitate towards playing that style?

Jill: Traditional heavy metal is simply the best. We aren't throwbacks or retro, we keep our sound marching forward and are influenced by black metal, death and thrash. But the heart of HUNTRESS will always stay true to the roots of heavy metal.

Metal Assault: I've been following the band's Facebook, and it seems like HUNTRESS is getting constant attention in magazines. Are you surprised by the rapid progress you've made in the press?

Jill: Yeah, it's been a whirlwind and a bit overwhelming at times. But we can back up the hype. We are fearless and ready to conquer. We've been waiting a very long time for this moment. I've visualized much of it, seen it play out like a movie. I'm sitting here writing this interview on our tour bus, from Metalfest Loreley in Germany. It's raining. The band WITCHCRAFT is playing right now. One year ago exactly, HUNTRESS fell apart. I fired the original drummer and almost lost my band. I had a nervous breakdown that put me in the hospital. But I asked the remaining members to have faith in me, I told them we must share the same vision for HUNTRESS. I would not compromise. I never will. And now we're touring Europe in a fucking nightliner and have two U.S. tours under our belts. If you can dream it, you can be it. Believe the ways of the witch.
DEFTONES bassist Chi Cheng is showing signs of improvement after being diagnosed with pneumonia, according to a post by his family at the One Love For Chi web site. The bass player, who has been in a semi-comatose state since being injured in a November 2008 car accident, was just brought home after treatment at a recovery center in New Jersey. Cheng has been assisted by mechanical ventilation but the doctors hope to begin weaning him off the breathing machine as soon as today (Monday, June 18).

Cheng had been showing more signs of emerging from his condition over the past few months, although he has still been mostly unable to move or speak.

Much of Cheng's treatment at a special facility in New Jersey has been funded by fans and friends, with DEFTONES holding several benefit concerts and donating money from the band's tours.

DEFTONES are in the studio working on a follow-up to 2010's "Diamond Eyes", one of the band's most successful outings yet. Sergio Vega continues to play bass for the group in Cheng's absence.
 
Cleopatra Records has released the following statement:

"With great sadness we wish to announce that John Harrison, founding bassist for legendary space rock band HAWKWIND, passed away in his sleep on May 26, 2012. John had been suffering from Huntington disease, having been diagnosed with it in 2005. At the time of his death, John was being cared for at Garden Crest clinic in Los Angeles. His caregivers there reported that he passed peacefully at approximately 8 p.m. John would have been 70 on May 28.

"John's throbbing and inventive bass parts on the band's self-titled 1970 release laid the foundation for HAWKWIND's influential sound, both then and now. After his departure from the band, John also worked successfully as a producer and staff engineer at Village Recorders in Los Angeles."

Former HAWKWIND guitarist Huw Lloyd-Langton said in a statement: "John was an integral part of HAWKWIND's formation and eventual success. His honest, solid character and playing held the whole thing together in that first year of the group's existence (in more ways than one)! All who worked with him and have followed in his footsteps, i.e. Lemmy :) and all Hawkfans, old and young, wherever you are, owe him big-time! May he rock in peace wherever he is now!"

Huw recently guested on several Cleopatra releases, including a highly acclaimed BLACK KEYS tribute on a track with THE KINKS founding guitarist Dave Davies (Huw plays guitar, Dave sings lead vocals), and on "Love Reign O'er Me" for the eagerly awaited THE WHO tribute album that also features rock legends Rick Wakeman, Carmine Appice and DEF LEPPARD lead vocalist Joe Elliott.
 
MOTHER ROAD is the brainchild of Austin, Texas-based rock singer Keith Slack and Berlin, Germany-based guitarist Chris Lyne.

Named after "The Mother Road," another name for the legendary and historic Route 66 highway, this international hard blues rock band is impressively transferring the vintage sounds and the trademarks of this genre into the new decade. Based on mutual musical influences, MOTHER ROAD was founded in 2011 when Slack and Lyne felt the chemistry between them was right and the songwriting process soon accelerated. In the meantime, the lineup was completed by the addition of drummer Carsten Klick and bassist Frank Binke.

Guitarist Chris Lyne is well known for his astonishing work with his previous group SOUL DOCTOR. His main influences include some of the greatest British guitar players such as Gary Moore, Jimmy Page, Paul Kossoff and John Sykes. American singer Keith Slack acted as frontman of the bands STEELHOUSE LANE and MICHAEL SCHENKER GROUP (MSG), and also his own blues-influenced hard rock band MUDPIE. Slack's influences include a whole variety of styles and music from bands including Paul Rodgers, LED ZEPPELIN, THE BLACK CROWES, KING'S X and THE CULT.
 
English rock act GLAMOUR OF THE KILL has signed a worldwide deal with eOne Music. The band's as-yet-untitled albm will be released later this year.

Commented GLAMOUR OF THE KILL frontman Davey Richmond: "We're really excited to be have signed to eOne Music. As a band we love what we do and getting the opportunity to spread it globally is an exciting prospect for us."

He continued, "After how well we've been received in the U.K. and Europe, it means so much to us to be able to take our music across to the U.S. and the rest of the world now, and we look forward to working with a label who understands what GLAMOUR OF THE KILL are all about."

GLAMOUR OF THE KILL has been generating buzz ever since its debut EP, "Through The Dark They March", came out in 2007. The success of the EP led to tours with BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE, DRAGONFORCE, AVENGED SEVENFOLD and most notably a performance on the main stage of Download festival in 2008. A full-length studio album called "The Summoning" followed in 2011.

GLAMOUR OF THE KILL is: Davey Richmond (lead vocals, bass), Chris Gomerson (guitar, backing vocals), Mike Kingswood (lead guitar, backing vocals) and Ben Thomson (drums, backing vocals).
 
Dan Swanö (EDGE OF SANITY, BLOODBATH) is one of three musicians who have recorded special guest appearances on "Icarus", the new album from German thrashers DEW-SCENTED. Schneider contributed guest vocals to the song "Reawakening".

Commented Dan: "After touring with them, mixing with them, it was about goddamned time that I also sang a nice tune with them. The interplay between mine and Leif's [Jensen, DEW-SCENTED frontman] vocals worked out perfectly. Like a duet between Satan and the Devil."

Added DEW-SCENTED: "Dan has been a longterm buddy and true inspiration for DEW-SCENTED and it's almost like a closing circle to have him involved with 'Icarus'. Dan and Leif first met him on the debut EDGE OF SANITY tour with ASSORTED HEAP in 1992 and then DEW-SCENTED toured with EDGE OF SANITY in 1996, where, funnily enough, Marvin also already appeared as the band's lead guitarist. Consequently, Dan went on to help DEW-SCENTED by mixing 1998's 'Innoscent' album and Leif has ever since always wanted to do vocal or production work with Dan on some level again. Having Dan do his trademark deep grunts as duet vocals with Leif on the song 'Reawakening' is a big honor and personal satisfaction for us."

As previously reported, Rob Urbinati of Canadian thrash metal veterans SACRIFICE contributed guest vocals to the song "Gleaming Like Silver" while RETALIATION/FINAL BREATH guitarist Dennis Schneider can be heard on the songs "The Fall Of Man" and "Perpetuated".

"Icarus" will be released on July 31 in North America via Prosthetic Records (one day earlier internationally through Metal Blade Records).

DEW-SCENTED vocalist Leif Jensen previously described the "Icarus" main theme as "a modern-times, very apocalyptic adaption of elements of the Icarus myth, using a lot of its symbolism while interlinking with several other personal or observant subjects in true DEW-SCENTED fashion." While the album — recorded at Soundlodge Studio and produced by Jörg Uken (NIGHTFALL, SUICIDAL ANGELS, GOD DETHRONED) — is not quite a concept album per se, Jensen said "Icarus" "has a pretty coherent lyrical flow, and that helps to enhance and also to intentionally enlarge the atmosphere and vibe created by the music." The "Icarus" cover artwork was once created by Björn Goosses of Killustrations.

DEW-SCENTED's new lineup is as follows (pictured from left to right in photo below):

Rory Hansen - Guitar
Marvin Vriesde - Guitar
Leif Jensen - Vocals
Joost van der Graaf - Bass
Koen Herfst - Drums

The new DEW-SCENTED lineup will play its first shows on July 20 at Metalsplash festival and July 21 at Queens Of Metal festival.
 
 
With hangovers still raging from last week's Metal Hammer Golden Gods Awards, where THE DEFILED scooped the "Best New Band" award, London's saviors of alternative metal have revealed that they will begin work on the follow-up to last year's "Grave Times" album this summer.

Funding the album themselves via a campaign with Pledge Music, the band will fly to Audiohammer studios in Sanford, Florida this summer to record with Jason Suecof, whose work with the likes of TRIVIUM, ALL THAT REMAINS, CHIMAIRA, DEVILDRIVER and THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER has made him one of the most sought-after producers in metal.

"I remember a few years back I stumbled across a BURY YOUR DEAD album called 'Beauty And The Breakdown', which had the most insane guitar tone I'd ever heard," explains THE DEFILED frontman Stitch D. "Ever since then we've been trying to emulate that kinda production ourselves. When given the opportunity to choose the producer for our next record there was no question about it. We wanted Jason Suecof. The albums he had done in the past had the sound that we wanted.

"I met with him last year at his studio, Audiohammer, where we discussed doing a record. As well as being a talented dude he's also one of the funniest guys I've ever met.

"Nice as he is, the man is going to want paying at the end of it all, so we really need your support with our Pledge Music campaign. We're just over halfway, with just over half of our target to meet, so this is a call to arms for our fans to dig deep and help us out — we promise you we will deliver an album that will make you proud to have been a part of, and we can't wait for you to hear our new songs!"

Fans can pledge their support at this location, where among other things, they can bid for a live performance from THE DEFILED at their house, a copy of the brand new album with their name on the thanks list and an eat-and-greet on their upcoming tour with DRAGONFORCE.

THE DEFILED will support GODSMACK this coming Wednesday at London's HMV Forum.
 
Chilean metallers SIX MAGICS will release their new album, "Falling Angels", on July 2 via Coroner Records. According to a press release, "the female-fronted quintet presents a new long and intense chapter of classic heavy metal mixed with epic, symphonic, power and progressive influences, for an over 60 minutes trip into SIX MAGICS' world." The cover artwork for the CD was created by Machine Room Design (MY DYING BRIDE, DAWN OF ASHES, DOPE STARS INC.).

"Falling Angels" track listing:

01. Another Name
02. Falling Angels
03. Rolled
04. Dreamer (B:O:M)
05. Do You Remember?
06. Sick & Tired
07. Icy Lips
08. Start Another War
09. Suicide
10. Why
11. Binsfeld
12. How To Live
13. I Know


 
Maryland extreme metallers DYING FETUS will embark on the European "The Womb To Waste Tour" in September. Support on the trek will come from JOB FOR A COWBOY, REVOCATION and CEREBRAL BORE.

The dates are as follows:

Sep. 14 - Lindau, Germany - Club Vaudeville
Sep. 15 - Genève, Switzerland - L'Usine
Sep. 16 - Brighton, UK - Concorde2
Sep. 17 - Norwich, UK - Waterfront Tickets
Sep. 18 - Birmingham, UK - O2 Academy 2
Sep. 19 - Reading, UK - Sub89
Sep. 20 - Manchester, UK - Club Academy
Sep. 21 - Glasgow, UK - Cathouse
Sep. 22 - Dublin, Ireland - The Pint
Sep. 23 - London, UK - Underworld
Sep. 24 - Paris, France - Divan Du Monde
Sep. 25 - Nijmegen, Holland - Doornroosje
Sep. 26 - Hamburg, Germany - Markthalle
Sep. 27 - Malmö, Sweden - KB
Sep. 28 - Gothenburg, Sweden - Sticky Fingers
Sep. 29 - Stockholm, Sweden - Klubben
Oct. 01 - Helsinki, Finland - Tavastia
Oct. 03 - Copenhagen, Denmark - Vega
Oct. 04 - Berlin, Germany - C-Club
Oct. 05 - Würzburg, Germany - Posthalle, Hell Inside Fest
Oct. 06 - Jena, Germany - F-Haus
Oct. 07 - Prague, Czech Rep - Hoodoo club
Oct. 08 - München, Germany - Backstage
Oct. 09 - Wien, Austria - Arena
Oct. 10 - Ljubljana, Slovenia - Gala Hala / Kino Siska
Oct. 11 - Legnano (Milano), Italy - Land Of Live Club
Oct. 12 - Aarau, Switzerland - Kiff
Oct. 13 - Essen, Germany - Turock
Oct. 14 - Aarschot, Belgium - De Klinker

DYING FETUS' new video, "From Womb To Waste", can be seen below. The clip, which features 12 camera angles from last month's live show at Maryland Deathfest at Sonar in Baltimore, Maryland, was filmed and directed by Scott Hansen (ANIMALS AS LEADERS, A DAY TO REMEMBER).

"From Womb To Waste" comes off DYING FETUS's new album, "Reign Supreme", which will be released on June 19 via Relapse Records. The CD, which was recorded at Wrightway Studios in Baltimore with longtime producer Steve Wright (SLIPKNOT, MISERY INDEX), will feature nine tracks and is "a 'return to roots,' with production focused slightly more on slam than in the band's last few works," according to a press release. "Thematically, the album is set to be a good old-fashioned piece of social and political commentary in the style of DYING FETUS as we have come to know."

Commented DYING FETUS guitarist/vocalist John Gallagher: "The last album had some groove in it, but [it] was basically a lot of tech; this one is a return to form of older DYING FETUS albums, so to speak — more modern production, though, of course. Everything's tight, the sound is crushing, the drums are amazing."

DYING FETUS recently completed the Metal Alliance Tour with DEVILDRIVER, THE FACELESS, JOB FOR A COWBOY, 3 INCHES OF BLOOD and IMPENDING DOOM.

DYING FETUS' latest album, "Descend Into Depravity", sold around 2,700 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 166 on The Billboard 200 chart. The effort landed at position No. 4 on the Top New Artist Albums (Heatseekers) chart, which lists the best-selling albums by new and developing artists, defined as those who have never appeared in the Top 100 of The Billboard 200.
 
Austrian "modern melodic death metallers" LOST DREAMS have released the following statement:

"We have decided to continue on without Stefan 'Schleifi' Traunig as the singer of LOST DREAMS. We are thankfull for the three years that we've had him in the band.

"Out of respect for everyone involved, we will not be discussing the specific reasons behind this decision.

"We wish Schleifi well for the future.

"So we are looking for a powerful singer to write a new chapter of LOST DREAMS with us!"

Interested parties can contact the band at contact@lost-dreams.com.

LOST DREAMS' "Demons Call My Name" video can be seen below. The clip was filmed in Vienna by Obscura Film.

"Demons Call My Name" comes off LOST DREAMS' fifth album, "Blinded By Rage", which was released on November 4, 2011 via Twilight Zone Records.
 
According to Terrorizer.com, guitarist/vocalist Adam "Nergal" Darski of Polish extreme metallers BEHEMOTH is putting the finishing touches to his autobiography. Enitled "Sacrum Profanum", the book is "like a really long in-depth interview," according to Nergal.

In addition to publishing the book, Nergal will be working with Polish producers Grupa 13, with whom he had previously collaborated on the BEHEMOTH videos "At The Left Hand Ov God" and "Ov Fire And The Void", on several promotional clips.

"We're shooting some trailers to support it," Nergal said. "The episodes will be little portraits of certain chapters of the book."

"Sacrum Profanum" is due in September.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment