Re: [Classic_Rock_Forever] Re: In Prog We Trust: Five ProgressiveRock Bands You Hate, But Shouldn't

0
 

I'll need to go back to the shop to verify which album I was listening
to. I did a bit of snooping on youtube, and anything by Gong there,
doesn't have the same appeal that the music playing in Vintage had for
me.
 
Bonus for me was that there was very little vocal, which has
typically been the kiss of death for my tastebuds and anything prog (or
at least what I think of as prog). I would very much like to enjoy a
group like Yes more than I do, however I can't get past his voice. I
suppose that's a common complaint with many groups with quirky voices
(Rush, Jethro Tull, Tom Waits, Dlyan, etc). Some I accept without
hesitation, some just turn me off.
 
Clint

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 11:15:57 -0600, rhett lee <rhettlee@gmail.com> wrote:
Gong has an elaborate mythology, much better constructed and played
> out than Frank Zappa's similar attempt at a mythology (or whatever he
> calls his - I seem to remember him calling it a mythology on the
> Apostrophe album)
>
> Even Gong's original members still evolved the Gong mythology in their
> solo work.
>
> In my mind, the original Planet Gong trilogy is them at their finest,
> although Daevid Allen's 'New York Gong' was exceptional as well.
>
> But Gong is more on the Jazz side (i.e. Jazz Rock - if one could say
> that). I wouldn't call Gong 'Prog' per se, I would think of Van Der
> Graaf Generator (and then later, Peter Hammill), Gentle Giant, or King
> Crimson.
>
> I wouldn't even consider Rush as Prog, they are way to firmly
> ensconced in the Classic Rock realm to me, Rush's earlier musical
> simplicity giving way to much more musical complexity over the years,
> but I don't see where they became Prog in all that, because they
> definitely weren't Prog in the beginning. King Crimson is definitely
> considered Classic Rock, but they showed their Prog Rock roots from
> the very beginning, and they only became Classic Rock after they had
> already become famous Prog rockers.
>
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Cfh <cfhiebert@sasktel.net> wrote:
> > I was wasting a coffee break the other day wandering about Vintage Vinyl
> > (used record/cd/head shop) the other day. One of the fun bits about that
> > place is that whoever is running the turntable in there, gets to choose the
> > music.
> >
> >
> >
> > The song that was playing was excessively long and instrumental, and
> > extremely good. I didn't recognise the group at all, and after 5 or 10
> > minutes I asked the fellow, who was I listening to. Answer was a group
> > called 'Gong'. Which he informed was a proggy group from the 70's. I have
> > never heard of these guys at all. Turns out they have a history,
> and while I
> > don't know if I'll ever buy any, I was intrigued.
> >
> >
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>

 

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment