Re: [Classic_Rock_Forever] Re: In Prog We Trust: Five Progressive Rock Bands You Hate, But Shouldn't

0
 

an old Pink Floyd album called More was always my favorite. I think it represents a time for me at college where I was really enjoying life, and I have a lot of pleasant memories associated with the time frame the album represents to me. Its not that the music on the album is incredible or anything. I bet everyone has an album or two like that.

ELP were pretty damned incredible, in my opinion. They certainly arent for everybody. Tull, same thing. Its interesting how Tull progressed over the years, starting as pretty much a jazz-blues outfit at first, then sort of becoming more rock-mainstream, then the biting social commentary becomes a big thing with them, while the music gradually becomes more and more complex. I mean, listen to their very first album, "This Was", and then listen to "Songs From the Wood"... and except for the voice, it doesnt even sound like the same band.


From: Cfh <cfhiebert@sasktel.net>
To: Classic_Rock_Forever@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, March 1, 2012 11:17 AM
Subject: Re: [Classic_Rock_Forever] Re: In Prog We Trust: Five Progressive Rock Bands You Hate, But Shouldn't

I liked what I heard of ELP, although I didn't hear that much.
 
Jethro Tull was available to me, but I admit now that I didn't give them a lot of good attention. Enjoy it now, which is fun, since I've been listening to it as 'new' music.
 
Pink Floyd was interesting with me. I thought Dark Side of the Moon was brilliant when I first heard it. I was inspired to pick up a few others, which I liked, but not as much. For my money, The Wall was their high water mark imho, and I realize many fans would disagree with me there.
I tried some of the older stuff, and I have the catalogue now, in some form or other, but it didn't really impact me in any great way.
 
Clint

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 06:12:08 -0800 (PST), howl dog <howldogg@yahoo.com> wrote:


I liked prog as a teenager, Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Kansas, Pink Floyd at times, bits of Jethro Tull were sort of proggy, even Wishbone Ash ventured into that territory.

Sometimes I will listen to that stuff, but usually only when it pops up on the mp3 list randomly. 


From: Cfh <cfhiebert@sasktel.net>
To: Classic_Rock_Forever@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:50 AM
Subject: Re: [Classic_Rock_Forever] Re: In Prog We Trust: Five Progressive Rock Bands You Hate, But Shouldn't

Tubular Bells is the extent of my cd Oldfield collection.
   
  On vinyl I have more, just haven't worked my way that far yet on this
ripping project.
   
   I truly have no rhyme nor reason to my ripping order.
   
  The latest grouping have been Ian Gillan related. I have lots of Ian
Gillan Band and Gillan group on vinyl. Nice music, quite varied in
style with nothing really Purplish in style. As I move through his
catalogue it will begin to get harder edge.
   
  Clint

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 15:40:23 -0000, Ben <dawnstar@zahav.net.il> wrote:
I have a bunch of cd's of his. Most of the time I have to be content
with a best of but that's not possible with him. His early albums were
only one track.
> Ben
>
> --- In Classic_Rock_Forever@yahoogroups.com, "Cfh" <cfhiebert@...> wrote:
> >
> > I find I have more patience with it these days. I have a few in the
> > collection and while ripping these things to digital I'm surprising
> > myself at how much I'm enjoying the albums. >  
> > Of your list there, I'd lean to Mike Oldfield. >  
> > Clint
> > > On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 15:22:56 -0000, Ben <dawnstar@...> wrote:
> > Some of it is quite good, some is self indulgent twaddle. I love >
> Renaissance, Moody Blues, Genesis (until 1983), Mike Oldfield, and >
> others. > > Ben
> > >
> > > --- In Classic_Rock_Forever@yahoogroups.com, "Cfh" <cfhiebert@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > > "There are some forms of music that struggle to find
> critical > > acclaim > while others are loved by critics but
> universally dismissed > > by the > public. Then, there is another
> group that, despite a loyal > > and > sometimes massive cult
> following, are disliked by critics and > > everyday > music fans
> alike. > > Meet prog-rock, the Rodney > > Dangerfield of music."
> > > > > > >
> http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2012/02/in_prog_we_trust_five_progress.php
> > > > > Clint
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ------------------------------------
> > >
> > > Yahoo! Groups Links
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >  
> >
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
>

   




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Classic_Rock_Forever/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Classic_Rock_Forever/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    Classic_Rock_Forever-digest@yahoogroups.com
    Classic_Rock_Forever-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    Classic_Rock_Forever-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/







 



__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment