[Classic_Rock_Forever] Metallica, Steve Harris, Phil Anselmo, Journey, Twisted Sister, Krokus, Geoff Tate VS. Queensryche, Grease Helmet, Warlord, Vince Neil and tons more hard rock and heavy metal news

0
 

According to The Vancouver Sun, tickets to METALLICA's $5 charity concert in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada are going for as much as $50 on Craiglist.
 
The band announced on Thursday that will be following up its full-priced Friday and Saturday night shows at Rogers Arena, which are being shot in 3D for the band's upcoming feature-film project, with a much cheaper third performance on Monday.
 
All proceeds from tomorrow's concert will benefit the Greater Vancouver Food Bank.
 
Fans who attend the show are being asked to stick around for the entire evening as film crew will interrupt the band and the musicians promise "lots of breaks," but the band has promised "a full night of fun and games."
 
"We will be running through the full live show one last time," reads a message on the METALLICA web site. "But unlike the Friday and Saturday shows there will be lots of breaks in it to allow for the cameras and lights to be repositioned as the director sees fit."
 
A Craigslist seller who bought six tickets to Monday's concert told The Vancouver Sun that he plans on attending the show with two other friends and selling the remaining three tickets for $50 each.
 
"I do feel a tinge of guilt, but I'm willing to do it anyway because I'm not exactly a rich guy," he told the paper.
 
The group earlier in the year tapped award-winning director Nimród Antal to helm the movie. Charlotte Huggins ("Journey To The Center Of The Earth", "Journey 2: The Mysterious Island") will produce.
 
The film will be a marriage of narrative and concert and will star the "five" members of METALLICA — James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich, Kirk Hammett, Robert Trujillo, and the fans. It will be released in the summer of 2013.
 
Antal is best known for writing and directing the Hungarian-language film "Kontroll" (2003) that won several awards, including the Award of Youth at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival and the Gold Hugo prize at the Chicago International Film Festival. He also received a European Film Award nomination for Best Director. His credits include "Vacancy", starring Kate Beckinsale and Luke Wilson, and "Armored", starring Matt Dillon and Laurence Fishburne. In 2010 he was hired by Robert Rodriguez to direct "Predators", featuring Adrien Brody.
 
Ulrich did hint to Rolling Stone a few months back what the film might be like, saying, "Imagine if you took [LED ZEPPELIN's concert film] 'The Song Remains The Same', which is 75 percent concert, 25 percent other stuff, and flipped it around. And all the non-concert footage, instead of being about the band members, is a story that unfolds, set against the backdrop of the concert."
IRON MAIDEN founder Steve Harris' debut solo/side project album, "British Lion", will be released in the U.S. on September 25 via Universal Music Enterprises (UMe). Mixed by Kevin Shirley — whose credits include IRON MAIDEN as well as Led ZEPPELIN, JOURNEY and RUSH, among many others — the CD, which features Harris alongside vocalist Richard Taylor, guitarists Graham Leslie and David Hawkins and drummer Simon Dawson, presents a different side of the bassist's musical visions.
 
Asked where the impetus for "British Lion" came from, Harris told Classic Rock magazine, "How it started was that Graham Leslie came to me with a cassette of songs — which shows how long ago it was! — and I thought they were really good, so I said I'd try to help his band do something. I ended up managing them and producing them and writing with them, although I kept that fact under wraps, to the point where even some people in the band didn't know. Anyway, when that band imploded I thought, 'Well, I've got to do something with this,' because I thought the songs were so strong."
 
He continued, "Over the years I've kept in touch with Richie and Graham, and then Richie was working with another guitarist called David Hawkins, who's a really talented guy, and so we started writing songs together. So on the album there are six songs written with Richie and David, there's one with just me and Richie, and the others are me, Richie, Graham and a couple of other guys that were around at the time."
 
"British Lion" comprises ten songs that Steve and his collaborators have been working on between IRON MAIDEN tours and releases and is described by Harris as "'70s-influenced, British-sounding hard rock." "I'd say it's more mainstream rock than metal... and quite commercial… but good commercial," he said. "There's all kinds of stuff going on, with nods to THE WHO and UFO and some classic British rock bands, but it's not the progressive rock album some might be expecting."
 
On the topic of why this is the right time for a Steve Harris solo album, the IRON MAIDEN bassist told Classic Rock, "Because it's ready, it's finally, finally ready. The guys have been waiting very patiently for years for me, and it's been frustrating at time, but what can I do?! I'm so busy with MAIDEN. People have already said to me, 'Are you going to do this instead of MAIDEN?' and I'm like, 'Of course not!' MAIDEN is always going to be the priority — always has been and always will be — but it's interesting and exciting to try new things."
 
He added, "On the early [IRON MAIDEN] albums, most of the songs are mine, but as we've gone into different eras with different people writing, there's been more and more collaborations. And I think it's been important for MAIDEN to do that rather than have me dictating everything. But I have bags full of ideas, so many that I couldn't record them all in my lifetime, and I tried out a few different things on this, because I had the time to do experiment."
 
"British Lion" track listing:
 
01. This Is My God
02. Lost Worlds
03. Karma Killer
04. Us Against The World
05. The Chosen Ones
06. A World Without Heaven
07. Judas
08. Eyes Of The Young
09. These Are The Hands
10. The Lesson
 
 
According to Metal Sucks, Philip Anselmo (DOWN, PANTERA, ARSON ANTHEM, SUPERJOINT RITUAL) and BloodyDisgusting.com writer Corey Mitchell have secured a deal with Jeremie Ruby-Strauss, senior editor at Simon & Schuster's Gallery Books imprint, for Anselmo's autobiography, which will tentatively be titled "Mouth For War: Pantera, Pain, & Pride - Heavy Metal Highs, Drugged Out Lows, & The Battle For My Life". Corey will co-author the book, which is described as "a no-holds-barred look inside of Philip's brain, his history with PANTERA, the loss of his best-friend, Dimebag Darrell, and an unflinching examination into the downward spiral of pain and drug addiction that nearly cost him his life." A 2014 release is expected.
 
In a 2010 interview with MetalSucks, Anselmo stated about his upcoming autobiography, "Well, as opposed to what most people may figure or think or imagine that I'm going to write about, this is not a book that's in any way, shape or form really like your average rock book. It's not a pissing contest when it comes to the death of my guitar player. [correcting himself] The murder of my guitar player. Honestly, it's coming from my perspective of being a guy that has fought through chronic pain his entire career, and what it's like to be in my situation with all the pitfalls, all the crooked fucking doctors out there, all the things that can go wrong. It's well documented how many things have gone wrong in my career. So, it's kind of my take on that, and a lot of the lessons I've learned from pain — chronic pain itself. You can win or lose, straight-up. Anyone who deals with chronic pain can attest that it fucking creeps into the mind, y'know?"
 
He continued, "There is going to be some [discussion of my music]. If I didn't talk about some of the music career, I think it would be a little bit of a fucking gyp for the fans. People want to know certain things. Of course, yeah it's going to be about it, but then again, I've been carrying pain around with me since I was 24. I've been through major back surgery. I've had knee surgery. I broke both my wrists. I've broken my ribs twice. All of my fucking fingers, two of my toes, I've had a hernia. Man, you name it. I'm like a fucking football player. Once again, pain comes with every step of my fucking life — chronic pain. There are ways to fight it, and there are ways to submit to it. I'm going to show both sides of that, and hopefully shed some light on the drug world, the evils of the drug world, the helpful drugs, certain doctors, and hopefully shed some light on how you can cope with chronic pain through a regimen and through will power — unabashed, undivided motherfucking will power. There's a strength there that needs to be untapped. I'm going to give a couple of keys, and it's up to people to find their own locks and unlock that motherfucker."
 
Anselmo's former PANTERA and DOWN bandmate Rex Brown last year signed a deal with Da Capo Press to write a memoir. Due in 2013, "Official Truth, 101 Proof: The Inside Story Of Pantera" is described as a "starkly honest and revealing" book about Rex's time in one of the most influential and enduringly popular bands in heavy metal history, offering Brown's shocking personal insight into a band that had swapped the grimy clubs of Texas for arenas around the world but whose story would ultimately be touched by tragedy.
According to E! News, JOURNEY is getting paid a whopping $500,000 to perform at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Florida on Thursday night (August 30).
 
JOURNEY will appear at Liberty Plaza, a tented concert space. However, the band is reportedly not making a statement of any kind by playing the show. "It's an RNC event, but not one to endorse any candidate or party," a source tells E! News. "I believe JOURNEY and also ZAC BROWN [also on Thursday] are described as nonpartisan but they aren't aware of any of the details themselves. To JOURNEY, it's simple, one of hundreds of private [events] they get hired to do."
 
According to CinemaBlend.com, Romney himself is not paying for JOURNEY, nor is his official campaign. A political action committee which supports him is funding the appearance.
 
JOURNEY is continuing to tour in support if its latest album, "Eclipse", which arrived in May 2011.
 
TWISTED SISTER frontman Dee Snider, who recently slammed presumptive Vice Presidential candidate Rep. Paul Ryan using the band's 1984 signature tune "We're Not Gonna Take It" at a recent rally, has posted the following message on Twitlonger.com, a related Twitter site that allows one to send tweets that require more than 140 characters:
 
"Since there is so much interest in what I think, ponder this: I am an entertainer, not a politician or news reporter. I don't expect people to care or even listen to my political thoughts or position. I have no party affiliation and I vote for what I believe to be the best choice I am offered each time.
 
"Four years ago I was a supporter of John McCain… until he picked Sarah Palin as his running mate. Given the Republican offering this presidential election — particularly with an extremist like Paul Ryan attached to the ticket — I have no other choice than to vote for Obama. Not voting isn't an option.
 
"I do find it ironic that the same song ('We're Not Gonna Take It') that was under fire from conservative watchdog groups in the '80s is now the go-to song for those same types of groups."
 
Back in 2003, Snider sided with then-GOP candidate Arnold Schwarzenegger during the actor's successful recall campaign against Democratic incumbent Governor Gray Davis. Snider sang "We're Not Gonna Take It" at a Schwarzenegger rally and allowed him use of the song.
 
"We're Not Gonna Take It" and "Stay Hungry" were the biggest hit single and album, respectively, in TWISTED SISTER's career. Snider said "We're Not Gonna Take It" is now part of America's cultural fabric.
 
"It's become like a folk song. It's a traditional song now. It has a simple message that's applicable to everything from sports teams to politics. I even once heard about the song being used by people protesting the development of commercial property," he said.
 
The song's lyrics say in part "Oh you're so condescending/Your gall is never ending/We don't want nothin'/Not a thing from you."
 
Swiss hard rock veterans KROKUS have set "Dirty Dynamite" as the title of their 17th studio album, tentatively due in early 2013. The band's bassist, Chris Von Rohr, who is producing the CD, explains, "The new songs sound like 'dirty dynamite': pure, dirty, in-your-face hard rock with a touch of blues."
 
Adds KROKUS vocalist Marc Storace, "We've been taking the time it needs writing for our next rock album and we guarantee that it definitely will contain no fillers."
 
For the next couple of weeks, Von Rohr and Storace are laying down bass and vocal tracks at London, England's legendary Abbey Road Studios. The sound engineer for the sessions is Dennis Ward, who recorded KROKUS's last album, "Hoodoo".
 
Drummer Freddy Steady left KROKUS in May 2011 because he "concluded that he really wanted to play music just for fun in small clubs rather than conquering the world, playing arenas on huge stages with pyro props, etc.," according to guitarist Fernando Von Arb. A replacement drummer has not yet been announced.
 
"Hoodoo" was certified platinum in the band's home country for sales in excess of 30,000 copies. Sony Music presented the bandmembers with their gold and platinum plaques prior to the first concert of the "Hoodoo Tour" on April 30, 2010 in Zuchwil.
 
"Hoodoo", which entered the Swiss chart at No. 1 in its first week of release, was made available in the U.S. on May 25, 2010 via SonyMusic Independent Network (SIN).
 
Partnered with Ariola and Arista, KROKUS became an international success and ran up the charts with their hit albums "Metal Rendez-Vous" (1980), "Hardware" (1981), "One Vice At A Time" (1982), "Headhunter" (1983), "The Blitz" (1984) and "Change Of Address" (1986).
Former QUEENSRŸCHE singer Geoff Tate taped a guest appearance on VH1 Classic's "That Metal Show" earlier in the month for an episode which premiered last night (Saturday, August 25).
 
Asked about the cirumstances that led to the split with his QUEENSRŸCHE bandmates after nearly 30 years of working together, Tate said, "Well, really, it's kind of difficult to explain, 'cause I'm not in their heads. I can only speculate, really. It came out of the blue for me. We've never had any kind of creative differences, or any kind of a situation where we are at odds with each other. It just happened. And I can only speculate that we're in a really tough recession right now all over the world, and I think that when we have economic times like this, it kind of makes people do strange things. That's really the only speculation I can give — that it's a money thing. We have a company together and [now that] they kicked me out, they can split my 25 percent."
 
When "That Metal Show" co-host Jim Florentine pointed out that QUEENSRŸCHE won't sell as many concert tickets without Tate, Geoff concurred, saying, "I know it doesn't make a lot of sense."
 
According to Tate, he was given no advance notice that his days in QUEENSRŸCHE were numbered and the whole thing took him by surprise. "It was really out of the blue," he explained. "And I tell you, it's something that I haven't quite come to terms with yet; I'm kind of emotional about it still. We're talking about 30 years of being brothers, people living together, all our decisions were [made] together, our children grew up together, we had camping trips and Fourth Of July [celebrations] together. And for it to all just implode so quickly and all of a sudden out of the blue, it's shocking. These [are] people that I loved, I took care of, I nurtured all our relationships, worked at a very intimate level creatively with these people, [so] the betrayal is immense."
 
Regarding the claims made by his former bandmates accusing him of assaulting, and spitting on, drummer Scott Rockenfield and guitarist Michael Wilton prior to, and during, QUEENSRŸCHE April 14, 2012, in Sao Paulo, Brazil, Geoff didn't deny the allegations, telling "That Metal Show" co-host Eddie Trunk, "Oh, I did it. I don't make any bones about it." He continued, "Right before the show, we held a quick meeting in the dressing room and they told me that they just fired my wife, who has been out manager for ten years, and my daughter, who has been our fan-club president, and basically our office assistance all these years, and my son-in-law, who is our guitar tech, and I was next. . . And I lost my temper. I came unglued. I'm glad someone stopped me, 'cause I look back on it with regret that I could have hurt one of them pretty badly. But, man, it's not something I'm proud of."
 
He added, "The spitting thing… I know a lot of people are giving me hell about that. But spitting is something that, historically, has been the most degrading thing you can do to somebody, and that was exactly what was meant by it."
 
Asked if he is planning on fighting to keep the name QUEENSRŸCHE for himself, Tate replied, "It's something that I've worked all my adult life to take care of and build and protect, and I feel like, yes, it's mine." He continued, "[Right now] we both have the name. The judge [who denied Tate's motion for a preliminary injunction that would have kept his former bandmates from touring and operating under the band name. — Ed.] said something very interesting. My lawyer wanted to say, 'Look, we think that nobody should use the name until we have our court date.' And the judge says, 'I don't see anything different about QUEENSRŸCHE or the FOUR TOPS. It's the same situation.' The FOUR TOPS… [laughs] But, basically, there's two QUEENSRŸCHEs now. Or [at least we have] the ability to have two QUEENSRŸCHEs."
 
Addressing the accusations by his former bandmates that he was controlling QUEENSRŸCHE's musical direction for much of the last couple of decades, Tate said, "Well, I don't know how I would do that. I have one vote. We do everything by voting. 'I think we should do this, I think we should do this…' That's how we do it. So I don't have the power to dictate where we go in that regard."
 
When "That Metal Show" co-host Don Jamieson brought up the fact that QUEENSRŸCHE's latest album, 2011's "Dedicated To Chaos", was a huge departure from the metallic sounds of the band's early efforts, Tate said, "[It's] redefining what metal is? Thank you. That's what we've always tried to do — we've always tried to not be somebody else's version of what metal is. We've always tried to forge our own path. And how people take that, you never know. You have to just, kind of, write what's in your heart, you know?!"
 
Asked what he hopes will happen in his ongoing legal battle with his former bandmates, Tate said, "I'd like to sit in a room with those gentlemen and have them tell me face to face what the situation is. Explain their actions. I'd like to know, and actually understand, their point of view. I'd like to see them talk to me face to face rather than through the Internet. . . Communication is a big part of any kind of relationship — you've gotta have it. And if nobody's talking, then nothing's getting settled. And that's where we're at right now — nobody's talking."
 
Tate revealed last week that he will support ALICE COOPER on a Canadian tour in November, and will embark on a QUEENSRŸCHE "anniversary tour" in 2013 backed by an "all-star lineup" of musicians.
 
The singer recently completed work on his sophomore solo album, "Kings And Thieves", for an October release via InsideOut Music.
 
Tate's personal web site, GeoffTate.com, was recently upgraded with a new banner that reads "Geoff Tate: The Voice Of QUEENSRŸCHE." He is also billed on the web site for booking agency Monterey International as "QUEENSRŸCHE Starring Geoff Tate: The Original Voice." The band's lineup isn't listed.
 
Guitarist Michael Wilton, drummer Scott Rockenfield, bassist Eddie Jackson and Parker Lundgren (guitar) announced on June 20 that they were parting ways with Geoff Tate and recruiting La Torre of CRIMSON GLORY as his replacement.
 
Wilton, Jackson and Rockenfield defeated Tate's motion for a preliminary injunction on July 13 that would have kept them from touring and operating under the band name,
 
Tate and his wife, Susan, QUEENSRŸCHE's former manager, filed a lawsuit against Geoff's ex-bandmates on June 22 in King County Superior Court over whether he should be awarded the QUEENSRŸCHE name after being dismissed from the group in June. Their complaint states Rockenfield, Wilton and Jackson wrongfully fired the singer and are tarnishing the group's brand by attempting to move forward without him.
 
If the case goes to trial, the date is set for November 18, 2013.
 
GREASE HELMET, the new Finnish band featuring former HANOI ROCKS guitarist Andy McCoy alongside members of AMORPHIS, will release its self-titled debut album in Japan on September 5 and in Finland on September 19.
 
GREASE HELMET was founded in 2009 by Niclas Etelävuori (bass; AMORPHIS) and Jere Garcia (vocals). They were eventually joined by Jan Rechberger (drums; AMORPHIS) and Ben Varon (rhythm guitar, AMORAL) and McCoy.
 
According to a press release, "Grease Helmet" "travels from present time to the history of rock with flavors of funk, blues, classic hard rock and psychedelic colors."
 
Commented the band: "We wrote the songs together in rehearsals from different ideas and riffs. They tell many stories. There is a message from Andy to all non-believers. Songs tell also classic rock stories and bring along L.A. vibes, celebration of rock, pretty women, fast cars and the true spirit."
 
GREASE HELMET's first single, "Keep Your Helmet Greasy", "represents traditional hard rock," while the single's "B-side, "Mustang Bebe", "respects the early years of rock' n' roll with sounds from the '50"s," according to a press release.
Harry of the Minneapolis, Minnesota radio station 93X conducted an interview with SLIPKNOT/STONE SOUR frontman Corey Taylor at SLIPKNOT's first-ever Knotfest, an extraordinary two-date metal and hard rock festival whch took place on August 17 in Council Bluffs, Iowa and August 18 in Somerset, Wisconsin. You can now watch the chat below.
 
Asked if he is planning to write another book following last year's "Seven Deadly Sins - Settling The Argument Between Born Bad And Damaged Good", Taylor said, "I'm working on book two right now. It's gonna be really cool. I'm about, I'd say, a quarter of the way through it, which is good, 'cause I don't have to turn it in until November. It's probably gonna stir up some pretty good beef with certain people, but I don't really care. The working title right now is 'A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Heaven', and it's basically my experiences with the paranormal, and ghost sightings, and occurences, and I've had a lot, enough that I'm writing a damn book about it. But it's actually… It's about how can I believe in ghosts, and not in God? So it's a very interesting conversation. And that's kind of what I wanted to do with 'Seven Deadly Sins', was start a conversation and get people thinking about it. Because the stuff that interests me is the stuff that nobody talks about. And I have the weirdest ideas pop into my head, and there's nobody there to talk about it with. So this is the perfect way for me to kind of start a conversation with a lot of people. Certain chapters will be specifically about the experiences that I've had in certain houses and whatnot, one of which is the mansion in L.A. where we recorded [SLIPKNOT's] 'Vol. 3' [album], and just kind of my take on the whole religion thing, so that's probably gonna get me in some deep hotwater, but I'm so used to it by now, it's not even funny."
 
Regarding whether he can envision himself writing a novel one day, Taylor said, "I feel like I've got a novel in me somewhere, but that's something… I was just talking to a buddy of mine about it, who's a writer as well, and he's nearly done with his first novel, and it's taken him 11-12 years to do it. And I can totally understand; it's a long process. I mean, you're creating a world, you're creating something from scratch. And it's always been easier for me to talk non-fiction than fiction. I'm kind of broaching it with the new STONE SOUR album, with the short story that accompanies the concept albums. But that was 12,000 words, which is a piece of piss — I mean, you've gotta get in, you do your thing, and there it is. And I had the added bonus of being able to have music tell a lot of the story as well, through the lyrics and whatnot. But yeah, I think some day. But I know me. I would never wanna out out something that I didn't back, that I didn't think was quality, that I didn't think was up to scratch. I have a very, very high yardstick when it comes to putting something out that's really amazinbg. So, for me, maybe down the line sometime, but nothing in the near future."
 
"Seven Deadly Sins - Settling The Argument Between Born Bad And Damaged Good" made the New York Times hardcover non-fiction best sellers list after it came out in July 2011, debuting at No. 26.
 
Taylor promoted the book by doing appearances where he read, performed a few songs and signed copies.
 
Released in the U.S. via De Capo Press, "Seven Deadly Sins - Settling The Argument Between Born Bad And Damaged Good" saw Taylor speaking directly to his fans and sharing his worldview about life as a sinner. While the 256-page hardcover book was Taylor's personal story, it was also described as "a larger discussion of what it means to be seen as either a 'good' person or a 'bad' one."
 
Reunited '80s metallers WARLORD, featuring guitarist William J. Tsamis and drummer Mark S. Zonder (FATES WARNING) will perform at the Keep It True XVI festival, set to take place April 19-20, 2013 at Tauberfrankenhalle in Lauda-Koenigshofen, Germany. This will mark the group's first appearance in eleven years — having last performed in 2002 in Itzehoe, Germany and at the Wacken Open Air festival. There will also be a brand new WARLORD album released in 2013.
 
Commented Tsamis: "WARLORD is very happy to be coming to the Keep It True festival this April 2013.
 
"As you may know, there was a lot of tension whether WARLORD should play Keep It True or Headbangers Open Air. I have great respect for the promoters of HOA and I have great respect for Oliver Weinsheimer, the promoter of Keep It True. In the end, however, our decision was based on one simple factor — and that was 'the fans.'
 
"Apart from researching the venues and corroborating with our peers from other respected metal bands, it all came down to what the fans were saying.
 
"Our intelligence sources followed numerous discussions on the Internet, and it was clear that the fans at Keep It True seemed to want WARLORD more than the fans of Headbangers Open Air. Thus, WARLORD is coming like a thunderstorm to deliver epic power metal in a way that you cannot even imagine . . . and we are doing it for the fans because we love the fans. In fact, to us, it's all about the fans. So when the fans tell us by a 10-to-1 margin that we should play Keep It True, we listen to the fans because our radar is up and running and our satellites are watching the situation.
 
"We hope the energy and affection at Keep it True will be able to match the passion, power and shock that WARLORD will bring, because what we have in store for you is something that you cannot even imagine!"
 
WARLORD's last album, "Rising Out Of The Ashes", was released in July 2002 via Atrheia/Drakkar. The CD featured Tsamis and Zonder alongside HAMMERFALL vocalist Joacim Cans.
 
According to TMZ.com, MÖTLEY CRÜE frontman Vince Neil was videotaped screaming at a group of parking attendants at the Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas last week after a valet refused to return the singer's Rolls-Royce because Neil couldn't produce a claim ticket.
 
In the 37-second clip, which is available below, Neil can be seen walking over to the valet booth, yelling, "Give me my fucking car! Give me my fucking car! Give me my car!" and then banging on the window.
 
Vince continued, "Call the police! This is my car. What the fuck is wrong with you?"
 
After the parking attendants apparently told Vince that they wouldn't hand over the vehicle because he couldn't produce a parking ticket, Vince responded, "They didn't give me a fucking ticket!"
 
According to TMZ.com sources, police were called to the scene, but by the time they arrived, Vince had already taken off, and the valet company decided against filing a report.
Helsinki, Finland-based female-fronted metallers SHEAR have parted ways with bassist Eerik Purdon and replaced him with Silver Ots (DEAD SHAPE FIGURE, THE NIBIRUAN, AMORAL).
 
Commented the band: "Our former bassist, Eerik Purdon, decided to step down after many great years together. We thank Eerik for the good times and wish him the best of luck for the future.
 
"We are currently writing and rehearsing new material for the next album. We will also be playing gigs later this year. Hope to see you there!"
 
SHEAR released its full-length debut, "Breaking The Stillness", in March via Lifeforce Records.
 
SHEAR guitarists Mikael Gronroos and Lauri Koskenniemi, and keyboardist Lari Sorvo have played together since 2001.
 
SHEAR is:
 
* Alexa Leroux - Vocals
* Mikael Grönroos (CRYSTAL BLAZE) - Guitar
* Lauri Koskenniemi (THE NIBIRUAN, ELENIUM, CRYSTAL BLAZE, ex-IMPERANON) - Guitar
* Silver Ots (DEAD SHAPE FIGURE, THE NIBIRUAN, AMORAL) - Bass
* Lari Sorvo (CRYSTAL BLAZE) - Keyboards
* Juhana Karlsson (AMORAL, CRYSTAL BLAZE) – Drums
 
Finnish metallers RETALIATORY MEASURES have inked a deal with Massacre Records. The band's debut album, "Withdrawal Syndromes", will be released on October 26.
 
Formed in early 2009, RETALIATORY MEASURES released its first demo a few months later and followed it up with a second promo CD, "MMX", in 2010.
 
RETALIATORY MEASURES has shared the stage with such acts as OMNIUM GATHERUM, INSOMNIUM, ROTTEN SOUND and NAPOLEON SKULLFUKK.
 
RETALIATORY MEASURES is:
 
Kalle Hahtamo - Guitar
Marko Mäkipanula - Bass
Iiro Aittokoski - Drums
Janne Halima - Guitar
Pessi Haltsonen – Vocals
On August 24, Natalie of Natalie's World conducted an interview with vocalist Candace Kucsulain of the Detroit hardcore band WALLS OF JERICHO. You can now listen to the chat in the YouTube clip below. A couple of excerpts follow.
 
On the break/hiatus that followed the release of WALLS OF JERICHO's latest album, 2008's "The American Dream":
 
Candace: "I got pregnant and had a baby. So we got back together about a year after I got pregnant. I got pregnant and had my baby, Patsy, on August 1 [of 2011], and the first tour we did after that was the Persistence Tour in January [of 2012]. So I didn't wanna leave until she was old enough for me to leave her. There was probably a lack of press… we just didn't have it out there that I got pregnant or anything. So no break, there was no hiatus. We never broke up. I just couldn't tour. Clearly, I couldn't play shows while I was pregnant."
 
On whether there are plans for WALLS OF JERICHO to release new music:
 
Candace: "There is plans. We've actually been writing. I'm just not exactly sure when things are gonna happen with it. But for a little while — probably since January or something, we started writing stuff. Our guitar player, Chris [Rawson], is in another band, so it kinds of makes it a little slower, the process, for us. Also, I live in Boston, Massachusetts, and the rest of the members live in Michigan and Ohio, so we're not exactly that close. We do everything over the Internet now. So it's just gonna take a little time."
 
"The American Dream" (Trustkill Records) sold around 2,400 copies in the United States in its first week of release. The CD debuted at No. 11 on the Top New Artist Albums (Heatseekers) chart, which lists the best-selling albums by new and developing artists, defined as those who have never appeared in the Top 100 of The Billboard 200.
 
"The American Dream" was recorded at Spider Studios in Cleveland, Ohio with Ben Schigel and Tony Gammalo.
 
An e-card for "The American Dream" can be accessed at this location.
 
WALLS OF JERICHO and Corey Taylor (SLIPKNOT, STONE SOUR) collaborated on an EP entitled "Redemption". The CD, which was produced by Taylor, featured primarily melodic vocals and acoustic instruments.
Acclaimed Norwegian rockers KVELERTAK have entered Godcity studios in Salem, Massachusetts with producer Kurt Ballou (CONVERGE) to begin recording their new album for an early 2013 release. The band states, "All [we] can say is this album is going to fuck the first album in the ass. Hard."
 
KVELERTAK will return to the U.S. this fall to tour alongside CONVERGE and TORCHE. NAILS, COALESCE and WHIPS/CHAINS will perform on select shows as well. KVELERTAK says, "CONVERGE brought us out for our first-ever European tour two years ago, so it's a great honor for us that they now are taking us out on our first proper U.S. tour! Not to mention the other bands; that lineup is ridiculous. Needless to say, we're beyond excited!"
 
Featuring iconic artwork by John Dyer Baizley (BARONESS, KYLESA), KVELERTAK's self-titled 2010 debut album — which has been certified gold in the band's home country — has earned the band extensive worldwide acclaim, with Kerrang! going so far as to call the sextet "the best Norwegian band since A-HA." The album, which features vocals entirely in the band's native language, recieved 9/10 ratings from Metal Hammer, Decibel and Rock Hard magazines and earned the group an invitation to perform a live session on BBC Radio 1. The band has recently played several esteemed European festivals, including Eurosonic, Sonisphere and Reading.
 
While the group has performed periodic American shows in the past — they did a short tour with SKELETONWITCH around the 2011 CMJ Festival and performed at SXSW earlier that year, for example — the CONVERGE tour is their most extensive American itinerary yet.
 
NONPOINT will release its new, self-titled album on October 9 via Razor & Tie. The CD was produced/mixed by Grammy-nominated producer Johnny K (DISTURBED, STAIND, MEGADETH) and features additional production and mixing from Brian Virtue (30 SECONDS TO MARS, CHEVELLE).
 
"Nonpoint" features 12 of the most raw and real songs of their 15-year career with unique, uncompromising, and undeniable hard rock on their self-titled ninth studio album and first for Razor & Tie. Weathering lineup changes, label shifts, and other trials and tribulations, founding members Elias Soriano (vocals) and Robb Rivera (drums) regrouped with fresh blood — Dave Lizzio (guitar), Adam Wolosyzn (bass), and Rasheed Thomas (guitar) — and captured pure fire this time around.
 
"Nonpoint" pre-order bundles are also available now at Nonpoint.com. The bundles include a variety of t-shirts and jersey designs as well as the full album and digital download.
 
NONPOINT is currently on the road for a headline tour that will run through November. The band recently wrapped a summer run with CALL ME NO ONE.
 
Soriano explains the new album, "We wanted this record to be a punch in the face. There was a lot of stuff I wanted to artistically vent about. It's a fresh start for us. We felt like having a self-titled record says it all. We hit the reset button, and there's life again. You can hear it musically. We're not going anywhere."
 
"This album is the beginning of a brand new chapter in the world of NONPOINT... rejuvenated and full of positivity," adds Rivera. "Elias has written his most personal lyrics yet that shows the signs of endurance this band has had in our 15-year career."
 
The band opened up the floodgates to the new album by unleashing one of its heaviest tracks, "I Said It", as a free download on their web site this summer and the fans responded with overwhelming enthusiasm, welcoming the onslaught. The first official single, "Left For You", is for sale now on iTunes and is closing in on the top 25 already at active rock radio.
 
"Nonpoint" track listing:
 
01. Lights, Camera, Action
02. The Way I See Things
03. I Said It
04. Left For You
05. International Crisis
06. Another Mistake
07. That Day
08. Pandora's Box
09. Go Time
10. Independence Day
11. Temper
12. Ashes
Finnish metallers VALONKANTAJAT have inked a deal with Violent Journey Records. The band's debut album, "Tuomittu Elämään", will be released on October 12. The CD's title track will be released on September 7 in digisingle format.
 
The "Tuomittu Elämään" cover artwork was designed by Ville Saloranta and Petri Lampela and can be seen below.
 
"Tuomittu Elämään" track listing:
 
01. Tuomittu Elämään
02. Surunmurtama
03. Rakkaasi Kadotat
04. Raskas Päivä Päättyy
05. Ihmisen Laulu
06. Paha Ei Saa Palkkaansa
07. Tavoitinko Taivaan
08. Käädyt
09. Lupaus
10. Hiljainen Mies
Norway's Dark Essence Records has announced the signing of the Ukrainian band RATTENFÄNGER. The group's debut album, "Epistolae Obscurorum Virorum", will be released in late October/early November.
 
Although RATTENFÄNGER is a new band, its lineup of Thurios on guitars, Krechet on bass, Vlad on drums and keyboards, and Roman on guitars and vocals, has a depth of musical experience behind them that most bands would envy, hailing as they do from cult acts such as DRUDKH, BLOOD OF KINGU, HATE FOREST and DARK AGES.
 
According to Dark Essence Records, if, after seeing this pedigree, anyone assumes that they know what to expect from RATTENFÄNGER, they would most likely be off target, because this band is a very different beast indeed. Inevitably there will be nuances from the members other projects, and comparisons can also be made with bands such as CELTIC FROST, early DARKTHRONE, ASPHYX, WINTER, BOLT THROWER and NIHILIST among others, but RATTENFÄNGER, is the epitome of old-school death metal and "Epistolae Obscurorum Virorum" has its own, very distinctive, sound. It is pitch black and bone crushingly brutal. It is death metal in its original form - and it is devastating.
 
The name RATTENFÄNGER is taken from the legend of the Pied Piper of Hamelin (Rattenfänger von Hameln), who was hired by the townsfolk of Hameln, Germany, to rid the town of the rats that had overrun it. Unfortunately he is deceived and cheated of his payment, and he exacts a dreadful revenge on the citizens.
 
Very much in keeping with the period of the legend, the lyrics for "Epistolae Obscurorum Virorum" are in Latin and are written in style of the medieval poets, the thinkers and the troubadours/minstrels of old.
 
"Epistolae Obscurorum Virorum" was recorded during the spring and summer of 2012 in Kharviv in the Ukraine, and produced by RATTENFÄNGER.
 
The track listing for the CD is as follows:
 
01. Coelo Affixus Sed Terris Omnibus Sparsus (intro)
02. Grimorium Verum
03. Victa Lacet Virtus
04. Nunc Scio Tenebris Lux
05. Allegoria De Gula Et Luxuria
06. Clausae Patent
07. Deest Remedii Locus, Ubi, Quae Vitia Fuerunt, Mores Fiunt
08. Regno, Regnavi, Regnabo
According to The National, Israeli progressive folk metal masters ORPHANED LAND have applied for Turkish citizenship.
 
Despite the Israeli ambassador in Ankara being expelled and relations between the two countries being downgraded every year for the past four, ORPHANED LAND is "trying to be above politics and to deal only with friendship and brotherhood between the nations," the band's lead vocalist, Kobi Farhi, said.
 
ORPHANED LAND was previously given a "Friendship And Peace Award" by Turkey for its contributions to peace in the troubled region.
 
"Turkey is a magical, wonderful country and I could easily see myself living there," Farhi said. "I say 'There is a Turk hidden inside of me."
 
Kobi and his bandmates hope to hear by the end of the month if they will be granted Turkish citizenship. They intend to keep their Israeli passports.
 
Farhi spoke about his love of playing Turkey before the band's concert in Istanbul in September 2011. "We're always glad to return to Turkey, and not only are we not afraid — we feel at home there," he said. "There are people there who sing with us in Hebrew and we don't face any hostility in Turkey."
 
Since many Arab countries do not allow Israeli musicians to enter, Arabs from Turkey's neighboring countries regularly travel there for ORPHANED LAND performances.
Longtime bassist Marcus Riewaldt has announced his departure from German melodic folk/death metallers SUIDAKRA. He says in a statement, "After more than 250 shows and 10 years being in the band, I feel that now time has come to change my priorities a bit and see what else life has to offer for me. No hard feelings involved; it's just that I cannot motivate myself for another writing-rehearsing-recording-promoting-touring cycle and that I'm really annoyed by some of the music business mechanisms that one has to deal with in order to continue this beautiful and exciting, but at the same time very time- and energy-consuming hobby. I wish SUIDAKRA much luck and success for the future — it would all be well deserved!"
 
SUIDAKRA has already secured a replacement bassist in Tim Siebrecht, who was a stand-in guitar player for SUIDAKRA on several occasions in recent years.
 
SUIDAKRA is tentatively scheduled to enter the studio in January to begin recording its new CD for a mid-2013 release. Singer Arkadius Antonik recently told Metal Kaoz, "The songs we have finished [so far] are bombastic and we also finished the first song with Tina's female vocals. This time, it's gonna be a faster song with a real epic and catchy chorus." Famous Belgian graphic artist Kris Verwimp will once again create the art for the new effort.
 
SUIDAKRA's tenth album, "Book Of Dowth", was released on March 25, 2011 via AFM Records.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment