Re: [Classic_Rock_Forever] Re: Song of the year 1977 pt. 21

0
 

Good memories Smurfy, sounds like you and I have some similarities in our pasts. My brother and I influenced each other musically as well. We had many common groups that I'm thinking were equally appealing to us, but then there were the other groups that one or the other of us just 'got' better than the other. I'd say he was/is the more adventurous of the 2 of us. He was probably the only person I knew who actually liked David Bowie in our crowd. Odd to say now, but back then, Bowie was just not on many peoples radar around here.
Those discussions with friends were great. We spent many hours walking around the pool table in our basement with the stereo blasting away.
 
Great times indeed.
Clint
 
 
From: GPS2003
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 4:30 PM
Subject: Re: [Classic_Rock_Forever] Re: Song of the year 1977 pt. 21
 


It's real funny looking back at my youth where music was concerned....I was a little influenced by my brother who was into groups like Gentle Giant, Camel, Lindisfarne, Manfred Manns Earthband, ELP, whilst I was a bit heavier with Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, UFO, AC/DC, Ten Years After, Led Zeppellin, Free, Bad Company, Stray and Budgie to name but a few. I have great memories of those times as we flip/flopped our musical tates....particular fun was our  music evenings, where we would meet up at ours or friends house with the parents out of the house and bring a few beers and our favourite albums and made all the group listen to what we wanted to play. We had great discussions and both got into prog-rock together with Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Mike Oldfield......ahhhhhhhhhhh them times were the best!

 
SmUrFy
"Rebel souls, deserters we are called.
Chose a gun and threw away the sun.
Now these towns, they all know our name.
6-gun sound is our claim to fame.
I can hear them say"
 
 
 

From: Cfh <cfhiebert@sasktel.net>
To: Classic_Rock_Forever@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Fri, 17 February, 2012 14:09:02
Subject: Re: [Classic_Rock_Forever] Re: Song of the year 1977 pt. 21

 
I always liked Supertramp, and I was a lonely guy in my crowd with that group ; )
 
Favourite is still Crime of the Century, although Crisis, What Crisis? is a close second.
 
Clint
 
From: GPS2003
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 1:34 AM
Subject: Re: [Classic_Rock_Forever] Re: Song of the year 1977 pt. 21
 


Was never into Cheap Trick in the same way I was into Deep Purple or Supertramp or Bad Company, but I had an appreciation and always felt I there was something about them I was missing from my perspective and not theirs. I bought Budokan and Dream Police and tried to rekindle the flame and bought the album Rockford. It didn't work and I still have the same unsure(ness) that I had to start with.

 
SmUrFy
"Rebel souls, deserters we are called.
Chose a gun and threw away the sun.
Now these towns, they all know our name.
6-gun sound is our claim to fame.
I can hear them say"
 
 
 

From: Ben <dawnstar@zahav.net.il>
To: Classic_Rock_Forever@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, 15 February, 2012 19:54:00
Subject: [Classic_Rock_Forever] Re: Song of the year 1977 pt. 21

 

Afraid I'm guilty of not buying enough of their albums. Live at Budokan, Dream police and Heaven Tonight. I liked the 80's hits through the middle of the decade but never bought. Guess I forced them to sellout. Surrender is my favorite track, great to hear when you're 13. Most music is best played loud.
Ben

--- In mailto:Classic_Rock_Forever%40yahoogroups.com, "Cfh" <cfhiebert@...> wrote:
>
> I stopped following them sometime after Dream Police. We saw that tour,
> and it was quite good. I think they ran into some legal issues that
> screwed things up for them.
> Â
> As a high water mark in studio albums, I probably choose Heaven
> Tonight. Contains my favourite song of theirs Auf Wiedershein.
> Something about that tune strikes me any time I hear it. Caveat being
> it needs to be played excessively loud.
> Â
> I have the earlier albums as well, nothing wrong there either.
> Â
> Clint
>
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 18:57:04 -0000, Ben <dawnstar@...> wrote:
> Budokan was mine too but I'd only been into music for about a year at
> that point. "I Want You to Want Me" came out then and it was great.
> Next came "Surrender" and it was better. They were good until they were
> forced to sell out late 80's for some big hits which they got. I heard
> they went back to good music afterwards and again didn;t sell much.
> Figures.
> > Benn
> >
> > --- In mailto:Classic_Rock_Forever%40yahoogroups.com, "Cfh" <cfhiebert@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Budakon was my intro to Cheap Trick. Enormous hit here. > ÂÂ
> > > I did end up getting the expanded version on cd years ago, but the
> > > damn thing had issues with my player... > ÂÂ
> > > ...which reminds me that since I have a new beast hooked up to the
> > > hifi, I should dig that one out someday. The new player has yet to
> > > reject any disc. > Not that there were that many, probably 15 - 20
> > cd's were not playable in it. > ÂÂ
> > > Of course I could listen to them on any pc/laptop at my disposal,
> > but > my go to sound source is still the stereo. > ÂÂ
> > > Clint
> > > ...getting old and curmudgeonly in Regina :)
> > > ÂÂ
> > > > On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 15:06:40 -0000, Ben <dawnstar@> wrote:
> > > First heard it on the Live at Budokan record. Great one live. > > Ben
> > > >
> > > > --- In mailto:Classic_Rock_Forever%40yahoogroups.com, "Cfh" <cfhiebert@> wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > It was a bit light I'd agree. > ÂÂÂ
> > > > > Clock Strikes Ten is a very fun song though. > ÂÂÂ
> > > > > Excellent done live!
> > > > > ÂÂÂ
> > > > > Clint
> > > > > > On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 14:37:15 -0000, Ben <dawnstar@> wrote:
> > > > > My picks. Lousy list actually. > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > 1 Cheap Trick Clock Strikes Ten
> > > > > > 2 Donna Summer I Feel Love
> > > > > > 3 Bill Withers Lovely Day
> > > > > > 4 Dan Fogelberg Love Gone By
> > > > > > 5 Steeleye Span Black Freighter
> > > > > > 6 Pointer Sisters Having a Party
> > > > > > 7 Pat Travers Stevie
> > > > > > 8 Heart Kick it Out
> > > > > > 9 Rita Coolidge We're All Alone
> > > > > > 10 Seals and Crofts My Fair Share
> > > > > > > 14 Genesis Your Own Special Way
> > > > > > > 27 Commander Cody Don't Say Nothin'
> > > > > > > 34 Lake On the Run
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > > 1 Donna Summer I Feel Love
> > > > > > > 2 K.C. and Sunshine Band Keep it Comin' Love
> > > > > > > 3 Bill Withers Lovely Day
> > > > > > > 4 Rita Coolidge We're All Alone
> > > > > > > 5 Dooleys Love of My Life
> > > > > > > 6 Bee Gees Boogie Child
> > > > > > > 7 Bryan Ferry Tokyo Joe
> > > > > > > 8 Mink DeVille Spanish Stroll
> > > > > > > 9 Silver Convention Everybody's Talkin' `Bout Love
> > > > > > > 10 Seals and Crofts My Fair Share
> > > > > > > 11 John Denver My Sweet Lady
> > > > > > > 12 Jam In the City
> > > > > > > 13 Isley Brothers Livin' in the Life
> > > > > > > 14 Genesis Your Own Special Way
> > > > > > > 15 Kinks Sleepwalker
> > > > > > > 16 Le Pamplemousse Le Spank
> > > > > > > 17 Foghat I'll Be Standing By
> > > > > > > 18 Heart Kick it Out
> > > > > > > 19 Cory Braverman Fire Sign
> > > > > > > 20 Kenny Nolan My Eyes Get Blurry
> > > > > > > 21 Idris Muhammad Turn This Mutha Out
> > > > > > > 22 Peaches and Herb We're Still Together
> > > > > > > 23 Elkie Brooks Do Right Woman, Do Right Man
> > > > > > > 24 Michelle Phillips Aching Kind
> > > > > > > 25 Steeleye Span Black Freighter
> > > > > > > 26 Cheap Trick Clock Strikes Ten
> > > > > > > 27 Commander Cody Don't Say Nothin'
> > > > > > > 28 Gentle Giant For Nobody
> > > > > > > 29 Pointer Sisters Having a Party
> > > > > > > 30 Nilsson I Never Thought I'd Get This Lonely
> > > > > > > 31 Leon and Mary Russell Joyful Noise
> > > > > > > 32 Dan Fogelberg Love Gone By
> > > > > > > 33 John Stewart Morning Thunder
> > > > > > > 34 Lake On the Run
> > > > > > > 35 Keith Jarrett Rainbow
> > > > > > > 36 Mickey Gilley She's Pulling Me Back Again
> > > > > > > 37 Pat Travers Stevie
> > > > > > > 38 Little Feat Time Loves a Hero
> > > > > > > 39 David Bowie What in the World
> > > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > ------------------------------------
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > ÂÂÂ
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > ------------------------------------
> > > >
> > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > ÂÂ
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
> Â
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment