[Classic_Rock_Forever] Black Sabbath, Queen, Guns N Roses, Velvet Revolver, Slash, Adler' Appetite, Gilby Clarke, Van Halen, Motley Crue, and tons more hard rock and heavy metal news

0
 

BLACK SABBATH drummer Bill Ward has thanked the band's fans for their support after he announced that he will not be able to participate in the recording of the reunited group's new album or perform with them on tour unless he is presented with what he described as a "fair agreement" and a "signable contract" that financially reflects his contributions to SABBATH's history and his standing as a founding member of the band.

BLACK SABBATH members Tony Iommi, Ozzy Osbourne and Geeer Butler vowed to continue recording their new album without Ward, saying in a statement that they "were saddened to hear via Facebook that Bill declined publicly to participate in our current BLACK SABBATH plans... We have no choice but to continue recording without him although our door is always open... We are still in the U.K. with Tony. Writing and recording the new album and on a roll... See you at Download!!!"

In a statement posted on his official web site earlier today, Ward said, "I just wanted to humbly thank you all. Your support from across the world has given me further strength and hope for a positive resolve. I have been moved and overwhelmed by the thousands of messages. I love you all."

BLACK SABBATH toured without Ward when the original lineup reformed in 1997, but he rejoined the group the following year. In 2004 a contract dispute nearly caused him to not participate on that summer's Ozzfest tour, but the matter was eventually resolved and the trek went ahead as scheduled.

Earlier this week, Ward issued a statement in which he said in part, "At this time, I would love nothing more than to be able to proceed with the BLACK SABBATH album and tour. However, I am unable to continue unless a 'signable' contract is drawn up; a contract that reflects some dignity and respect toward me as an original member of the band."

Ward added that he worked last year in "good faith" with fellow original members Ozzy Osbourne, Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler, including rehearsals and a November press conference in Los Angeles. But then, he wrote, "Several days ago, after nearly a year of trying to negotiate, another 'unsignable' contract was handed to me."

The drummer, who played on 10 of SABBATH's first 11 studio albums, emphasized, "Although this has put me in some kind of holding pattern, I am packed and ready to leave the U.S. for England. More importantly, I definitely want to play on the album, and I definitely want to tour with BLACK SABBATH."

The recording sessions for the original band's first new album in 33 years were recently moved to London so that Iommi, who is undergoing treatment for cancer, could be close to his doctors.

Ward wrote that he's "spent every day" getting ready to head to England, but added, "My guess is . . . I will know nothing of what's happening unless I sign 'the unsignable contract.'"

He also wrote, "The place I'm in feels lousy and lonely because as much as I want to play and participate, I also have to stand for something and not sign on. If I sign 'as is,' I stand to lose my rights, dignity and respectability as a rock musician."

Ward addressed the possibility of his being replaced, saying, "I hope you will not hold me responsible for the failure of an original BLACK SABBATH lineup as promoted . . . It would be a sad day in rock if this current situation fell to the desires of a few."

SABBATH is scheduled to release its new album later this year and is confirmed to play the U.K.'s Download festival in June. All other tour plans, however, are up in the air pending Iommi's ability to overcome his illness.
 
"American Idol" singer Adam Lambert says that his comments were taken out of context when he was quoted as saying that he will join the legendary British rock band QUEEN for a tour this summer.

Lambert, who previously performed with QUEEN at the MTV European Music Awards last November, told U.K.'s Daily Star that he had "no intention" of trying to replace the group's original frontman Freddie Mercury.

"The intention is to pay tribute to Freddie and the band by singing some fucking great songs. It's to keep the music alive for the fans and give it an energy that Freddie would have been proud of," he said.

He added, "After the EMAs, I heard faint little slithers of backlash from people saying, 'You can't replace Freddie Mercury.' But I already knew that. There's no intention in my mind of replacing Freddie. That's impossible. The way I'm choosing to view it is that it's a great honor and one I'm in no way going to shirk."

After Lambert's interview was published on the Daily Star web site on Friday, the singer took to Twitter to clarify his comments. "Them clever reporters taking my quotes outta context ... I haven't confirmed any guest appearances. I was talking about the EMAs," he tweeted. "That being said, I'm truly flattered by your jump to such glorious conclusions."

QUEEN drummer Roger Taylor confirmed to Billboard late last year that he and guitarist Brian May were in talks to hit the road with Lambert. After going public with the fact that QUEEN is essentially retired as an active touring unit, Taylor said, "[Lambert] has grown into a really great performer with an astonishing voice with a range that's great. We would like to work with him again. There's nothing signed just yet but we're talking about live dates. It could be very exciting."

1991's "Innuendo" was the last album of new music QUEEN released during Freddie Mercury's lifetime. Mercury died of AIDS on November 24, 1991 at age 45.

In 1995, Brian May, Roger Taylor, and John Deacon overdubbed Mercury's final piano and vocal recordings to create the band's 15th — and final-four man QUEEN album — "Made In Heaven".

Deacon officially retired from music in 1997 — although he is still a voting member and quarter partner in QUEEN.

In 2008, Brian May and Roger Taylor, who had been touring with Paul Rodgers as QUEEN + PAUL RODGERS, released the chart bomb, "The Cosmos Rocks", before calling it a day as a trio and a recording entity — despite a string of globally sold-out concerts.
Matt Sorum (VELVET REVOLVER, GUNS N' ROSES, THE CULT) was interviewed in early December on Sydney, Australia's Triple M radio station when he was in town for the Hard Rock Café opening down in Darling Harbour, a locality of the city center of Sydney.

When asked about GUNS N' ROSES' upcoming induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Sorum said, "I got this random text from [original GUNS N' ROSES drummer] Steven Adler [one] morning. We're now friends, which is cool. If you could imagine, when I joined GUNS N' ROSES, for Steven I was like the guy who shagged his girlfriend. You wanna just kill the dude. [Laughs] But, really, it's the girlfriend's fault. She's the one who shagged the dude. It's not his fault. He was just happy to be there. And she is a chick. And what dudes do when chicks wanna shag? Get busy. So now we're cool after all these years. It's kind of calmed down quite a bit. But anyway, so he texted me. He says, 'Congratulations.' I said, 'What?' He was the first one to tell me about Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. I had no idea. It's kind of a weird thing. It's like, what's gonna happen? Who knows? I don't know. I've been hearing a few things, a little bit, through Sebastian Bach, 'cause he hangs around with [GUNS N' ROSES singer] Axl [Rose]. Hopefully everyone's just sort of… before I get too old, let bygones be bygones. But the problem is it's not me. I'm just the guy that played drums; I'm not the dude that was in the mix of all the other drama. I was there for the drama, [laughs] and maybe I caused a little bit, but there was nothing I could say about it."

Sorum, who joined the band in 1990 following the dismissal of Adler, told Australia's The Vine he's hoping for the best but prepared for the worst when the band gets inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in April. Sorum said, "It's going to be as big of a train wreck as the SEX PISTOLS, BLONDIE, or any of those other bands. That's my prediction. Or VAN HALEN, which I don't know if you saw, but we [VELVET REVOLVER] were involved in that. Train wreck; it was a complete train wreck. But maybe it won't; maybe it will be a miracle; I hope for that and put out the positive vibrations."

Slash recalled how VELVET REVOLVER performed for VAN HALEN's induction into the Hall in 2007, when most of the members of VAN HALEN did not attend. "They couldn't get everybody to show up for the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame when those guys, when VAN HALEN was inducted, so they of course obviously couldn't perform," he said. "So they asked if we would fill in, and so we did. And that was basically it."

Only ex-members Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony turned up for VAN HALEN's induction.

Although Rose was ambivalent in a recent VH1 interview about reuniting with his old GUNS bandmates at the induction, Sorum added that he's wary of making predictions about the big night. He explained, "It's better if I just go, 'I don't know shit.' Which is the absolute truth. They could be in a room right now . . . and I wouldn't be invited, you know what I'm saying?"

It's widely expected that Sorum will be inducted along with Adler, in addition to the other four original members of the group. GUNS will be inducted into the Hall on April 14 in Cleveland, along with the RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS, THE BEASTIE BOYS, LAURA NYRO and DONOVAN.
A number of GUNS N' ROSES fans chipped in to buy an LA Weekly ad wishing singer Axl Rose a happy 50th birthday. The ad, which is available at LAWeekly.com, can also be seen below.

Axl was born William Bruce Rose in the small town of Lafayette, Indiana on February 6, 1962.

GUNS N' ROSES will be inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame on April 14, along with the BEASTIE BOYS, the RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS and others.

The news has prompted speculation about whether the event could lead to a reunion of the band's original lineup.

All the original members have been ambivalent about the chances of a reunion at the induction ceremony, although it's widely accepted that Rose is the lone holdout because of his ongoing feud with guitarist Slash.

Yet the eccentric singer recently told the Los Angeles Times, "I've got mixed emotions about what the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame actually really is, but at the same time . . . I really don't want to spoil it for everybody else."

LA Weekly is a free weekly tabloid-sized "alternative weekly" in Los Angeles, California. It was founded in 1978 and it is described on its web site as "the premier source for award-winning coverage of Los Angeles music, arts, film, theater, culture, concerts, [and] events."
 
Rhythm guitarist Bobby Schneck will not be joining Slash on tour this year when the VELVET REVOLVER/ex-GUNS N' ROSES axeman hits the road in support of his upcoming sophomore solo album. A replacement player has not yet been announced.

Slash late last year re-entered Barefoot Recording in Hollywood, California with producer Eric Valentine (QUEENS OF STONE AGE, THE ALL-AMERICAN REJECTS) to resume recording Slash's upcoming solo album for a tentative spring release. Joining Slash in the studio were the other members of his touring band of the last couple of years: vocalist Myles Kennedy (ALTER BRIDGE), bassist Todd Kerns (SIN CITY SINNERS, formerly of AGE OF ELECTRIC), and drummer Brent Fitz (formerly of THEORY OF A DEADMAN).

In a 2011 interview, Slash stated about the musicians in his band, "I was really fortunate. When I'd done the [first solo] record, I thought, 'I've gotta tour on this.' And I had to figure how I was gonna actually pull that off. And I set about auditioning musicians in L.A. and I just happened to meet Brent Fitz, who I'd never played before and who is not from Los Angeles; he was one of the guys I auditioned and he was great. And then he introduced me to Todd Kerns, who fit in perfectly. And it turned out to be a great band from the start — definitely worth going in and making a record with."
Legendary guitarist Slash (VELVET REVOLVER, ex-GUNS N' ROSES) is filming a video this weekend for a remixed version of the song "Gotten". The track, which features lead vocals by Adam Levine of MAROON 5, originally appeared on Slash's last self-titled album, which was released in North America in April 2010 via EMI Label Services.

"Gotten" was remixed in Astound Sound and will be released soon in support of the Los Angeles Youth Network (LAYN) charity.

LAYN's mission is to end homelessness, one kid at a time, by providing shelter, food and counseling for the abused, neglected and abandoned.

"Slash" featured an all-star roster of guest musicians, including Levine, Ian Astbury (THE CULT), Chris Cornell (SOUNDGARDEN), Rocco DeLuca, Fergie (BLACK EYED PEAS), Dave Grohl (FOO FIGHTERS), Myles Kennedy (ALTER BRIDGE), Kid Rock, Lemmy Kilmister (MOTÖRHEAD), Duff McKagan (VELVET REVOLVER, GUNS N' ROSES), M. Shadows (AVENGED SEVENFOLD), Ozzy Osbourne, Iggy Pop, and Andrew Stockdale (WOLFMOTHER).

In a 2010 interview with iHeartRadio (see video below), Slash stated about the experience of working with Levine on "Gotten", "Adam Levine really surprised me just because he's so skilled as a vocalist. He came in and sang the song, and it was, basically, a one-take, perfect vocal. We stopped in between a couple of times, but we didn't have to go fix anything, we didn't have to do any tuning or any of that kind of stuff, and it was really just amazing to watch somebody go and pull that off, for that kind of a vocal."

Slash and his backing band — which includes Myles Kennedy — are putting the finishing touches on the legendary axeman's second solo album.

Early song titles for Slash's sophomore effort include "Bad Rain", "Halo", "Standing In The Sun" and "Far And Away". The record is expected to arrive this spring.
 
According to a recent tweet from original GUNS N' ROSES drummer Steven Adler, his mother, Deanna Adler, has signed a deal for her long-awaited tell-all book, "Sweet Child Of Mine: How I Lost My Son to Guns N' Roses" (formerly "No Bed Of Roses"). The book, which was previously expected to arrive late last year via HarperCollins, is now due in April.

In the bestselling tradition of "Come Back" and "Augusta, Gone", comes her story of heartache and strength as Deanna Adler stood by her son at his most troubled times.

During the last quarter century, Deanna Adler kept her diaries, journals, and personal letters, as well as a dozen scrapbooks and hundreds of photographs, putting them aside for safekeeping. "Sweet Child Of Mine" is her stunning book about raising her son, Steven Adler, the drummer for GUNS N' ROSES, and the travails of keeping him alive and herself sane.

Deanna's son has had a turbulent life in GUNS N' ROSES and afterward; he struggled with drug addiction, financial ruin after being kicked out of GUNS N' ROSES, and health problems that almost claimed his life several times — two heart attacks, a suicide attempt, and a debilitating stroke. Now, he appears to have finally beaten his epic twenty-year addiction to crack and heroin. But through it all, his mother was by his side. Deanna offers a window into the world of rock'n'roll and addiction while at the same time providing deep insights into her son's tortured years.

These are the memoirs of a mother's love for an infamous son whose phenomenal success is only surpassed by his astounding capacity for self destruction. Her pages are filled with moments of profound joy and crippling heartbreak. "Sweet Child Of Mine" will inform and inspire others to find the strength to help their loved ones.
EADT conducted an interview with former GUNS N' ROSES and ROCKSTAR SUPERNOVA guitarist Gilby Clarke prior to the kick-off of his short European tour.

Clarke, 49, is best known for a three-year tenure as the rhythm guitarist of GUNS N' ROSES. He joined the band in November 1991, replacing Izzy Stradlin, who quit the group in the middle of a 28-month world tour. Gilby has also played with ROCKSTAR SUPERNOVA, HEART, NANCY SINATRA, Kathy Valentine (of THE GO-GO'S) and the reformed MC5 on their 2005 European tour.

Clarke has produced a number of artists, including L.A. GUNS, BULLETS AND OCTANE, THE BRONX, GIRLSPLAYBOYS, VAINS OF JENNA and LADYJACK.

When asked about his tenure with GUNS N' ROSES, Gilby said, "[It was] awesome... I was ready for it when it went down. I was in two bands that hadn't had that success so I was ready for the big time. It was important to me to be myself and make sure they accept me for who I am and how I played . . . The tour was awesome; living my dream with a great band, playing great music in front of thousands of fans. GUNS was a great time for me as a musician. It was everything I was looking for when I set out. The band had great songs, musicianship and success. I knew it was gonna be hard, but it was worth the effort."

On his first band, the pop-rock outfit CANDY:

"We made a record and did a couple tours. It wasn't really taking off so I started another band that was a lil' harder, KILL FOR THRILLS [described as a big riff quartet for who he wrote most of the tunes]. I think KILL FOR THRILLS was good, but we kinda got lost in the shuffle and didn't really succeed like I was hoping."

On going down the solo route after his departure from GUNS N' ROSES:

"I only set out on my own because there were no bands to join at that time. After coming off the GUNS experience, it was hard to find a band that inspired me. It was important to me to keep writing and performing; I set out to make one record and now I've made five."

On producing other artists:

"I love the creative process of producing and working with a band or artists. To capture that point of their musical dream is exciting. But I always prefer playing. I'm a guitarist first and foremost, so it doesn't matter if it's recording or performing; playing the guitar is my first love."
Guardian.co.uk recently conducted an interview with VAN HALEN singer David Lee Roth. A few excerpts from the chat follow below.

On whether it was ever hard work appearing to be having that much fun all the time:

Roth: "I was a surgical tech right out of high school, I sold clothes; I shovelled shit at a horse stable for years. I've been rich and I've been poor. Rich is better. Totally better."

"The job we have is a privilege. The Van Halens [Eddie and his brother Alex, the drummer] and I have had steady jobs since we were 12 years old. Mine was working before and after school at a horse stable. For them it was paper routes. Mr. Van Halen was classic European: you're making your money for the rent. I was lucky I didn't have to do that … Even at your worst moments, there's a whole lot of Shakespeare going on. How can you not appreciate it? At your lonesomest, most catastrophic, it's still pretty cinematic. I think the smiles were genuine. Don't mistake them for simplistic grins — there's a lot of pirate smiling."

On how he and his bandmates spawned a legion of imitators in the L.A. hair metal scene — MÖTLEY CRÜE, POISON, CINDERELLA, WARRANT and the like — who tried to set up camp on Van Halen Island:

Roth: "I don't know who coined the phrase imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I think David Mamet coined the phrase imitation is the sincerest form of stealing. Probably a litigating attorney coined it first. OK, if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery then there are a whole lot of dogs out there … At worst I feel like I'm driving past a traffic accident and I'm relieved no one was killed."

On where VAN HALEN took its inspirations from:

Roth: "I can point for you and go: right there we're imitating Eric Clapton; right there I'm imitating vocally David Bowie; right there is Bruce Springsteen, but this is how you create a signature sound. If you're lucky to have it, there's no way around it. I actively imitated everything from the Nicholas Brothers tap dancing to Mick Jagger going 'Oooh yeah!' But because of whatever it never sounds like anything to you but David Lee. And when Edward plays you might never have heard the material before but you instantly recognise it as fast as, say, Jimi's guitar."

On how VAN HALEN was never just a metal band, even though they revolutionized the genre:

Roth: "Metal is a bit specific. The neighbourhoods we grew up, learning, acquiring musical knowledge, were very separate neighbourhoods, unlike, for example, New York City where Mr. Chin lives next to Mr. Steinberg who owes rent to Mr. Patel and they all speak Serbo-Croatian. It's just the school system. Here [in California], the Venice Beach surf neighbourhood is very different than San Bernadino Hell's Angels. Below south of the harbour freeway: 'Que pasa? What are you looking at?' And that all works into VAN HALEN. You can hear it — it's loudly diverse, but you can't feel the seams. It's like if you go to a car show and you Stevie Wonder it: you can't feel where the Chevy turned into a Mercedes door frame which turned into — that's a De Soto grill! 'That's my girlfriend loco! What are you doing?' All those different neighbourhoods add up into the sound, and to say it's one kind of sound — no! It's so much of a hybrid that you have to give it its own name."

On whether knowing they need each other make the tensions between him and the other members of VAN HALEN all the worse:

Roth: "Jesus, let's go back to the 1600s again. People didn't understand psychology, right? You showed them emotional content and made somebody cry and they thought it was demons. One of the best reviews you can get in my estimation is from the villagers if they killed all the actors and buried them at the cross so their ghosts couldn't haunt the village — because everyone left the play crying and laughing and they couldn't understand why. Today we give them an Oscar for that kind of emotional ride. Being human has caused so much of that. Let's really back into some theory here. What is art? Simple, I think — something that forces and compels you to think, and that can be a mint condition copy of 'Raging Bull' or it can be the Kardashians. The same questions will be asked and you will be forced to confront yourself, and you will be forced to triangulate where you stand on everything from racist politics to haircuts. And are they really different? Do you follow? You're going to ask the same questions and that … shit … is … art. And it has caused you to question more than that goddam soup can Warhol sold us. Or tried to. Bring that one up. You follow? You are compelled into argument. Consequently, arguing about our band and our rock'n'roll - you can do that certainly for longer than actually listening to it. VAN HALEN music is whisky in a paper cup! Short doses and not every night, PLEASE!"
In one of their most recognizable songs, Motley Crue decries the "Same Ol' Situation." The song is about a girl named Cindy "who changed her name to Sin," appropriately enough as on Friday night the band embarked on a dirty dozen shows at the Joint in the Hard Rock Hotel dubbed "Motley Crue Takes on Sin City."
The general theme here is Motley Crue finds the same ol' situation highly unappealing. This is true of the maddening Cindy/Sin, and also of the band's approach to live performance. This stretch of performances cries for high-flying production, as more than 40,000 seats are to be filled between now and Feb. 19 (Friday's opener was well-attended, but not a sellout in the 3,450-seat venue, though officials are happy with advance sales of the residency).
What's happening at the Joint is not the same ol' situation for Motley Crue, not in the least. You know this the moment a little-person version of the band called Little Crue scampers onstage in what frontman Vince Neil has described as "Cirque meets rock." Many of the band's greatest hits thunder through the performance, among them "Wild Side," "Shout at the Devil," "Looks That Kill," "Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)," "Smokin' in the Boys Room," "Girls, Girls, Girls," "Dr. Feelgood," "Kickstart My Heart" and "Home Sweet Home."
The often blinding, consistently high-decibel carnival of sight and sound is no mere rock show. Even with some opening-night glitches (the lighting couldn't quite capture all members of Little Crue, and the sound sometimes seemed, for lack of a better term, muddy and not typically crisp of shows at the Joint), the show was a full-sensory experience. At alternate times, the vast Joint stage was populated by a pair of aerialists performing acrobats in silks, and also hanging high above the crowd from a thick chain; a trio of bustier-wrapped backing singers/dancers; recurring appearances by the quartet of little people (including budding superstar Brian Thomas of Las Vegas) during a mock wedding scene in which the bride is described as being "better than free cocaine"; a visit from a leather-bound emcee who is apparently a woman but who exudes quite masculine tendencies; and, of course, the circus act that is the venerable rock band itself.
Video panels roll out images of bright-red capillaries flowing through a blood stream (during "Dr. Feelgood"), and at the start of the show, the band members, talking of how freakin' wild this set of shows will be.
As promised during the week by Neil, it is a show that plays deep into the audience and does feature one of the great stage effects in rock history, Tommy Lee's 360-degree rollercoaster drum set. This is where rock meets Six Flags, and on Friday, Lee plucked a not-so-randomly selected audience member to join him in a few spins around the contraption. This person was Fox 5's Jason Feinberg, in a planned appearance, introduced only as "Jason" who did achieve the unlikely, which is to ride Lee's rails without retching.
But it mattered not who or even what Lee strapped into the seat next to him on the high-rising, round-and-round attraction. The crowd went nuts the moment the lights hit Lee in position to fire up the rig, reinforcing the long-held theory that if you roll out a giant prop inspired by a ride at a theme park, you've got a sure-fire winner.
Rivaling Lee's tricked-out kit is a circular stage suspended from the ceiling, on which the band plays a series of acoustic numbers midway through the show. "Without You" was a highlight here. Neil has talked of a point in the show where a visiting performer could be summoned to join the band, and that Cirque du Acoustic moment might well be the spot.
What else? Oh, we have lots of balloons. A dozen or so giant, thick balloons that fall from the ceiling and give the audience something to play with during the extravaganza. This is all good fun, but someone might want to make sure the guys at the sound boards are protected from these wafting orbs. They looked a little concerned when fans started batting them around the venue.
There are the requisite pyrotechnic blasts, too, and the concussive sound reverberates through the venue. Like, over and over. It's just a lot of boom-booms, maybe a few booms too many. Look at it this way: Explosions in a rock concert can be compared with croutons on a salad. They are great as a complementary ingredient. But after a while, if the waiter keeps dumping handfuls of croutons all over your plate, you have to say, "I have had enough of these croutons!"
But the Crue, it never gets enough. Loud and proud. The songs remain the same, but the stage act is uniformly imaginative and ambitious. Maybe there will be a time to scale back, someday. But that time is not now, not in February 2012 in Las Vegas.
SLAYER, the Grammy-winning, undisputed kings of thrash/punk/metal, in 2008 joined forces with O'Neal USA, one of the leading manufacturers of motorcycle and BMX accessories, to produce a limited edition of SLAYER helmets that feature the band's distinguished and celebrated artwork. The helmets launched under the name of RockHard, and were sold at all Cycle Gear locations and at finer motorcycle dealerships worldwide. In addition, each helmet was certified and numbered with its own Certificate Of Authenticity.

SLAYER's official webstore is now offering O'Neal RockHard Full Face helmets individually autographed by all four members of the band (Kerry King, Tom Araya, Jeff Hanneman and Dave Lombardo). Only 13 of these — priced at $499 apiece — are available.

O'Neal RockHard Helmets is the ultimate expression in the purest form. Each helmet is produced with exclusive graphics personally approved by the world's greatest music artists and pop culture icons. Each helmet is produced in limited quantity and is certified and numbered with its own Certificate Of Authenticity.

Features:

* Advanced composite fiberglass/Kevlar /carbon/Spectra core
* Blend of materials creates a strong, light, energy-absorbent, and impact-resistant design
* Multiple adjustable vents for customizable airflow
* Shell's design creates a vacuum effect, drawing hot air away from the head
Clear 2mm molded Polycarbonate Uni-Curve flat race face shield for outstanding optical clarity
* Removable, washable liner for ease of cleaning and care
* Safety standards meet and exceed SNELL M2005 and DOT

RockHard Helmets has also produced limited-edition helmets for AC/DC, KISS and LYNYRD SKYNYRD, among others.
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/slayerhelmet5.jpg
 
 
Guitarist Kerry King of California thrash metal legends SLAYER recently spoke to U.K.'s Metal Hammer magazine about the progress of the songwriting sessions for the band's next album, which they hope to begin recording within the next few weeks.

"Currently, we're taking a break, but I am very excited by the way it's all turning out so far," King said. "I've worked up three songs with Dave [Lombardo, drums], and they're sounding really refreshing and energetic. I'm certain that I'll have three more ready to go when we return to action. And then there's the stuff that Jeff [Hanneman, guitar] will also bring to the table."

He added, "One thing I can tell you is that the songs are shaping up in the classic SLAYER style. You won't be hearing us doing acoustic stuff. [laughs]"

Kerry is hoping that Greg Fidelman, who co-produced 2009's "World Painted Blood" with Rick Rubin, will be at the helm for the new album. "That's the idea, anyway," Kerry said. "But it all depends on his availability. . . I don't think we'll spend long in the studio this time, either. We're gonna do it old-school style and get things done fast. In fact, we are already ahead of schedule. The album will be ready for a summer release. But whether it's put out at that time is down to the record label [American]. They might have other plans. But we want it with the fans during the summer."

King also spoke about Hanneman's current state of health. Jeff in January 2011 contracted necrotizing fasciitis, likely caused by a spider bite, and has been undergoing surgeries, skin grafts and intense rehab since. Not only did this effectively put him out of action for the whole year, it came close to killing him, Thankfully, he's making a good recovery.

"Yeah, we could go onstage right now with him and do 'Mandatory Suicide'," Kerry said. "If that was the only song in our set, Jeff would be fine. But he's slowly getting back to full fitness and by the time we're ready to tour, he'll be right back onstage with us."

He added, "We always said we'd never entertain the idea of doing an album without [Jeff]. But there he is, getting those riffs ready!"

SLAYER will perform its classic 1986 album "Reign In Blood" in its entirety at All Tomorrow's Parties' second U.K. "I'll Be Your Mirror" event, which is scheduled to take place n the weekend of May 25-27 at Alexandra Palace, London, England. A strange move, considering they've done this several times before.

"The organizers asked us to do it! If it were left up to me, then I'd have turned it down, simply because it's been done, so why repeat it?" King said. "But it's such a classic album that people always ask us to do it."

SLAYER's latest album, "World Painted Blood", sold 41,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 12 on The Billboard 200 chart.
 
As one of the founding fathers of thrash metal, Scott Ian of Anthrax has been a busy guy recently.
Anthrax participated in several high profile “big four†shows last year with their thrash peers Megadeth, Slayer and Metallica. 2011 also saw the release of Anthrax’s long-awaited new album “Worship Music,†which was years in the making and features the return of their classic lead singer Joey Belladonna.
Ian then somehow found the time to play in two side-projects (The Damned Things and his wife’s band Pearl), be in every VH1 countdown show imaginable, and become a first-time father.
Thankfully, the guitarist also took some time to talk to UWeekly about political unrest around the globe, “The Walking Dead,†and what’s next for Anthrax:
UWeekly: Since it was so many years in the making, did the release of “Worship Music†lift a huge weight off your shoulders?
Yeah, I guess you could say that. You know, it just felt really good to have worked so hard on something for a period of time to finally see it come to fruition definitely felt good. More importantly, to have made the record we made … to be so happy with the record we made, that was the most important thing. I don’t really care how long it takes to work on something as long as it’s right … as long as it’s correct and as long as we’re happy with it. That’s really all I care about.
UW: There is a line in the song “Earth on Hell†that goes, “taking the streets occupied.†Are you some sort of metal Nostradamus by predicting the Occupy Wall Street movement?
laughs I mean, no, I had no idea obviously at the time because I wrote those lyrics years before any of that Occupy stuff happened, but it just came from more of a feeling of…just a general displeasure with government, you know, all around the world. Just people being fed up with the s*** they’ve been forced to eat their whole lives and deciding, “Let’s try to take some of the power back.â€
I truthfully didn’t think anything was ever going to happen here in any way, shape or form. You know, I was certainly looking at places like Egypt where major shit was going down. I didn’t think anything would happen here in the States, so when the Occupy stuff actually started happening I was actually very surprised that anyone actually took this kind of initiative.
But no, I definitely didn’t … I wish I could say, “Yes, of course I knew it was going to happen,†but no, absolutely not.
I just think, as a whole, people are fed up. People are fed up everywhere. People are tired of the same old shit and the only way change is really going to happen isn’t with a new president or anything a government is gonna do. It’s gonna get implemented from the people. The people really do have the power to make a change. Sadly, generally that means a lot of people are probably going to die in the process, but any great change that’s happened in the world has always come at the cost of lives and people who are willing to give their lives to make a change.
UW: How did you end up being in a webisode of “Walking Dead?â€
I actually was a part of … there’s a show on now called “Talking Dead†that airs after “Walking Dead.†I was actually a part of that pilot episode with Chris Hardwick that the network basically used to sell the show, so my part on that pilot was I got to go out and be like a field reporter and I got to spend the day on the set of that webisode and get made up as a zombie and get to take part in it. So, that was how that all came to be. And I guess I’m going to be on the “Talking Dead†coming up when the shows come back on next month or something.
UW: Do you see The Damned Things making another album once Anthrax is done with the “Worship Music†touring cycle?
I have no idea. I don’t really see at this point, you know, from a time perspective … we’ll finish touring and we’ll probably jump right back into making another Anthrax record. So, you know, from a time or schedule thing, I don’t know. I don’t know how to answer that at all.
UW: Oh, that’s good. So, is that the frame of mind that the other Anthrax guys are in? Making a new record after the tour, that is …
We haven’t talked about it, but I would assume that’s the schedule we’ll be on.
UW: How was it performing on stage with John Bush by your side at Metallica’s recent 30th anniversary shows?
Well, I can’t say he was by my side because he was running around like a maniac. The only time I knew I was near him is ‘cause he’d run past me and whip me in the butt with his fingers. He does this whip thing with his fingers so I’d know that John had just past me by. But yeah, I mean, it was just great being there and being a part of that. Getting to jam “Seek and Destroy†with those guys after all these years and with the dudes in Mercyful Fate … and John … yeah, it was a pretty epic moment.
Anthrax will be performing with Testament and Death Angel at The LC on Friday, Feb. 3. Doors open at 7p.m. Tickets are $27.50 advance / $29 day of show. For more information, please visit www.anthrax.com or www.promowestlive.com.
 
 
ANTHRAX drummer Charlie Benante has posted the following message on his official web site:

"Okay, I gotta get this out... My mom left us today. She fought her battle as long as she could.

"Thank you all for all your thoughts and prayers.

"My mom was all about letting me follow my dream, she always pushed me in that direction. She was the one who would take me to buy my records, she was the one who would sit through a matinee of all five 'Planet Of The Apes' movies, She was the one who got me to be who I am. She was all about her kids and she spread the love to everyone who met her, too. I am going to celebrate her life every day and I will play the [New York City ANTHRAX] show Wednesday [February 8 at Best Buy Theater] for my mom… She always enjoyed the thrash metal.

"If you want to send anything, send it to:

Schuyler Hill Funeral Home
3535 East Tremont Ave
Bronx, NY 10465

"You really don't need to send anything. I'm putting it on here to stop my phone from blowing up.

"Thank you."

Charlie and ANTHRAX bassist Frank Bello, who is Benante's nephew, missed several shows on ANTHRAX's current North American tour in order to spend time with Charlie's mother. Filling in for Bello and Benante are Joey Vera (ARMORED SAINT, FATES WARNING) and Gene Hoglan (TESTAMENT, FEAR FACTORY, DETHKLOK), respectively.
 
Massachusetts metallers SHADOWS FALL have finished recording their seventh album at Zing Studios in Westfield, Massachusetts with longtime friend, producer/engineer and KILLSWITCH ENGAGE/TIMES OF GRACE guitarist Adam Dutkiewicz. Adam D., who has previously manned the boards on albums by ALL THAT REMAINS, AS I LAY DYING, UNEARTH, THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA and EVERY TIME I DIE, was also intimately involved in the writing of the new SHADOWS FALL material. A late spring release via Razor & Tie is expected.

SHADOWS FALL recently took part in a live chat with fans on Livestream from the recording studio. You can watch the question-and-answer session below.

In other news, SHADOWS FALL will hit the road this month for a string of intimate headlining warm-up shows in select cities before heading to Australia for this year's Soundwave Festival.

The dates are as follows:

Feb. 16 - Rochester, NY - Montage
Feb. 17 - Syracuse, NY - Station 58
Feb. 18 - Clifton Park, NY - Trickshots
Feb. 19 - Turners Falls, MA - Shea Theatre

SHADOWS FALL's "Madness In Manila: Shadows Fall Live In The Philippines 2009" concert DVD/CD was released on October 25, 2010 via Everblack Industries/Ferret Music. The set includes over 60 minutes of footage that was shot on April 30, 2009 at the Pulp Summer Slam in Manila, Philippines as well as a live audio CD.

SHADOWS FALL's latest album, "Retribution", came out on September 15, 2009. The CD sold around 13,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 35 on The Billboard 200 chart. The effort was made available via Everblack Industries, the label SHADOWS FALL created in conjunction with Warner Music Group's ILG, Ferret Music and ChannelZERO Entertainment.
 
 
Guitarist Zoltan Bathory of Las Vegas metallers FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH has revealed via Twitter that the band recently filmed a video for the song "Remember Everything". The track comes off FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH's third album, "American Capitalist", which debuted at No. 3 on The Billboard 200 chart, selling 91,000 copies in its first week of release. Both the chart and sales numbers were career highs for the group.

FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH fans are able to get the brand new cover art for "American Capitalist". It features an illustration of the group's ubiquitous "mascot," Knucklehead, over the backdrop of Times Square in New York City.

The new Knucklehead illustration only replaces the regular edition album version of "American Capitalist", while the deluxe edition artwork remains the same.

"American Capitalist" was released as a standard CD, and a limited-edition deluxe CD format complete with special packaging plus second disc containing a number of exclusive remixes, including one for "Under And Over It". Meanwhile, the iTunes version carries the bonus track "The Tragic Truth".
 
Although ex-SKID ROW singer Sebastian Bach's latest solo album, "Kicking & Screaming", has been well received by critics and fans, he says commercial success is not what keeps him going more than 20 years after the release of his former band's multi-platinum debut. "I mean, it's just fun," he tells Jeff McGinnis of the Toledo Free Press. "Singing is fun. It's very cathartic, if I've had a rotten day or I miss my girlfriend or something on the road, touring across the country, being on a tour bus, being in hotel rooms — getting onstage and singing is very cathartic. It feels good. And if I do it right, it feels really, really good. I don't do it as a job. I do it because I love the music that I sing, and I love to sing it."

Despite the fact that hard rock and heavy metal music doesn't receive much support from mainstream radio, Bach says that nothing can compete with its staying power.
"The thing about hard rock and heavy metal is, once it gets in your soul, there's really no music that's like that," he says. "It's just such hard-driving riffs and vibe. I can't put in a Katy Perry song and feel the same way as a BLACK SABBATH song. As far as metal goes, there's no music like that."

He adds, "There's been so many genres over my career of 25 years that have come and gone, and it's like Jack Black says, 'You can't kill the metal.' Techno tried and failed. Punk tried and punk died. Grunge tried and grunge went away. There's been so many kinds of flavor-of-the-month styles that have come and gone, but heavy metal — the songs last the test of time."

Bach does acknowledge, however, that the modern music scene hasn't exactly embraced his new recorded output.

"There's no radio anymore for rock 'n' roll," Bach says. "There's like 15,000 or 17,000 stations in America, FM stations, and only 70 of them play rock 'n' roll. And most of them play rock 'n' roll from 20 years ago. So a guy like me, I can't walk down the street because everybody freaks out because they all know me, but it's almost impossible for me to get a brand-new song on the radio, because I'm too rock 'n' roll for NICKELBACK stations. So I don't fit in with that, but the stations that do play me can't stop playing 'I Remember You' or '18 And Life'. They just can't fathom that there's another song like that."
Welsh metallers have announced that they will split up after one final farewell show in London on March 2.

The band released two albums on Metal Blade"This Age Of Silence" in 2007 and last year's "Echoes Of The Fallen" — since signing to the label six years ago.

ANTERIOR said in a statement: "It is with great sadness and disappointment that we have decided to call it a day.

"After 10 years, two albums, many members and countless tours we will no longer be continuing with ANTERIOR.

"We are all still friends and have the best regards for each other and we all wish that things could have been different.

"Every band have their struggles, problems and adversity to overcome and we had all of it and some! Even though we came through it all and continued no matter what blocks stood in our way, it is now time for us to go out on a high note.

"After being to so many countries and having the amazing, loyal and dedicated fanbase we do, this has been an immensely hard decision for us.

"There are many obstacles in the music industry and we can no longer fight the uphill battle to keep going.

"We would like to thank our friends and families for their undying support over the years, our manager, our crew, our label, all of the amazing bands we have toured with and every single person who bought our records, came out to shows, pillaged our Merch, bought us beers and generally made this the experience of an entire lifetime! You are the reason that all of this was possible and we will never forget it. Thank you all so much for your love and support and for showing us how music can bring so much happiness. We love you all and always will."

ANTERIOR lineup:

Luke Davies - Vocals
Leon Kemp - Lead/Rhythm Guitars
Steven Nixon - Lead/Rhythm Guitars
James Britton - Bass
James Cook – Drums
 
 
Sweden's OCTOBER TIDE has issued the following update:

"As you might have noticed, we have showed up with different members on many of the shows lately and the reason for that is FOUR newborn babies produced within one year. Since the effect of humping has a time consuming aftermath we hereby make the following statement.

"Vocalist Tobias Netzell and bassist Pierre Stam have decided to leave OCTOBER TIDE in favor of their families and other musical adventures. We want to thank the guys for the past years and wish them both all the best for the future!

"But rest assured, new fulltime members have already been found. Pierre has been replaced by Mattias Norrman (ex-KATATONIA) and Tobias' replacement will be no other than Alexander Högbom (VOLTURYON, SPASMODIC).

"We are thrilled about this new strong lineup and more than ready to focus on the future and things to come. Our primary goal and mission for now is to continue to write new breathtaking material for the next album which will most likely be recorded during the summer for a late 2012 release.

"We will keep you updated during the process!"

OCTOBER TIDE's current lineup:

Fredrik Norrman (KATATONIA, UNCANNY) - Guitar
Mattias Norrman (KATATONIA, DELLAMORTE) - Bass
Alexander Högbom (VOLTURYON, SPASMODIC) - Vocals
Robin Bergh (AMARAN, GOREMENT) - Drums
Emil Alstermark (MANDYLON) - Guitar

OCTOBER TIDE's latest album, "A Thin Shell", was released in North America in September 2010 via Candlelight Records. The band's first CD in ten years followed the 2009 reissue of its debut, "Rain Without End" (Candlelight).

Formed in 1995 by then-KATATONIA guitarist Norrman and KATATONIA/BLOODBATH vocalist Jonas Renkse, OCTOBER TIDE quickly made a mark with two albums recorded and released during the years 1997 and 1999 ("Rain Without End" and "Grey Dawn", respectively). Much of the band's music was written during a short break up of KATATONIA which later proved only temporary as the band would reform and continues today. OCTOBER TIDE would not perform live during this short period of activity and few interviews with the members were granted despite praise from both media and fans. The band, until reforming in late 2009, would maintain a cult status throughout the doom/metal community.
 
Milan, Italy-based female-fronted rock/metal act EXILIA will release its fifth studio album, "Decode", on March 30 via ZYX Music. Some great collaborations makes this album more special: an old friend, Stephan "Gudze" Hinz, bass player of the great crossover band H-BLOCKX, features on "Over The Edge", and Dave Pensado, who has mixed chart-toppers for some of the biggest names in the music business, such as DEFTONES, PINK and TOOL, mixed "Satellite" which will be the opening track.

According to a press release, "Decode" shows "a new creative side of EXILIA where they are challenging themselves in the realms of elegant songwriting and reaping the benefits incredibly, all songs provide intense and catchy chorus with rhytmic detonation interspersed with Masha's unique voice before exploding in an eruption of pounding guitars where she really shows her versatility."

EXILIA just returned from Berlin where they filmed a video for the first single, "Over The Edge", with director Oliver Sommer from Ava Studios. The clip's concept is inspired by a weird surreal short tale from Roald Dahl.

Behind-the-scenes footage from the "Over The Edge" video shoot can be seen below.

Masha Mysmane, who is well respected for her lyrical content, dramatic and energetic live performances, describes the new music as "something real, something that cannot be contained in a commercial box."

"Music is my way to express myself and I get inspired by many music styles, writing and combining different genres to find the right code to decypher the sound I hear in my head," she says. "I can't put any limits to it, our music is universal and does not belong to any system."

EXILIA's last album, "My Own Army", was released in February 2009 via AFM Records. The CD was recorded at Principal Studios in Ottmarsbocholt (near Münster), Germany.
 
Conquest Music Inc. recording artist MONSTROSITY will release the "Live Apocalypse" DVD on March 13. The specially priced DVD includes their explosive set filmed at the legendary Brutal Assault festival in Josefov Czech Republic. Also included are interview segments, live clips from South America, rehearsal footage, and the making of the "Spiritual Apocalypse" recording.

A trailer for the DVD can be seen below.

Celebrating 20 years of existence, MONSTROSITY has had several well-known death metal luminaries through its ranks, including most notably original vocalist and frontman George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher, currently in CANNIBAL CORPSE. The band has soldiered on and is still creating the madness that fans have loved since their debut album, "Imperial Doom" (1992). MONSTROSITY has created timeless classics, one after another, including "Millennium" (1996), "In Dark Purity" (1999), "Rise To Power" (2003), and culminating in their finest work yet on the 2007 release "Spiritual Apocalypse". The band has cemented a solid reputation on the international touring scene, having played in places like Guatemala, Colombia, Peru, Venezuela, Chile, Mexico, Puerto Rico, as well as numerous tours of the U.S. and Europe. A brand new studio record is expected in the fall of 2012.

MONSTROSITY's current lineup:

Mike Hrubovcak: Vocals
Lee Harrison: Drums
Mark English: Guitars
Matt Barnes: Guitars
Mike Poggione: Bass
 
Dutch death metallers PROSTITUTE DISFIGUREMENT have parted ways with guitarist Danny Tunker "due to different musical interests." The band, which recently completed a three-week European tour with VOMITORY, has since been reinforced with guitarists Frank Schiphorst and Martijn Moes.


PROSTITUTE DISFIGUREMENT's new lineup:

Niels Adams (CENTURIAN, ex-NOX): Vocals
Patrick Oosterveen: Bass
Michiel van der Plicht (GOD DETHRONED, ex TOXOCARA): Drums
Frank Schiphorst (MAYAN, ex-SYMMETRY): Guitar
Martijn Moes (TOXOCARA, ex-THE MONOLITH DEATHCULT): Guitar

PROSTITUTE DISFIGUREMENT will record a new album in the middle of 2012.

The band's fourth full-length CD, "Descendants Of Depravity", came out in 2008 via Neurotic Records.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment